America's Got Talent

I think the guy who made his dog a ventriloquists dummy went through. WTF?

I couldn’t believe how bad the singers were. Too nervous, forgetting the lyrics, and just generally sucking. Only the kid singers seemed to do well, or at least better than the adults.

And I was so bored with escape from a tank of water guy. So many people have done that, and they always get out in time. Maybe it’s just me, but if I never see a water escape act again, it will be too soon.

It was the guy who shot himself out of a cannon, which really surprised me. I didn’t think it was a truly spectacular $1,000,000 act.

I’ll admit I was surprised when they sent goth opera guy home. I had thought his story seemed so producer-created (so he’s never sang in front a single person before and yet the producers knew to follow him and have his family in the audience miked…) that I thought they may even have told him to botch the second audition just to create drama before they surprise let him through anyway, but I guess not.

I haven’t seen anything that really wowed me. Even the best acts this time would have been just mid-level in previous years.

Ah, thank you.

I agree, btw. It seems to me that there are any number of people doing the shot from cannon thing at state fairs/carnivals/circuses, how can that seem “special” at all? And it has the same failing as the fall into a puddle guy from last season: the same damn thing, over and over.

The act I feel so far deserves to win is that guy who does the sand paintings. Genuinely neat.

I have a grand feeling that they will have a “second chance” show and he will be on it.

Bet money on it.

The show has become much more of a modern ‘reality show’ than a talent contest. The personalities of the judges, the announcer, the reactions of contestants, and their sob stories of overshadowed the display of talent. I think this is a disincentive to those people who are truly talented, and a major attraction for those who simply want to be on TV. It’s understandable for some. For example a comic trying to move up the ladder may benefit from any TV exposure. But someone who can only sing one song isn’t going to get a career out of it.

The overly dramatized “I’m so sorry to have to tell you, this was a very hard decision for us and the conclusion that we reached after talking it over is that we just can’t…deprive America of your talent. You’re going to New York. whoo hoo!” segments are so exaggerated that there’s no suspense involved at all anymore.

Another act that got put straight through is the 2 man strength/acrobatic act. I don’t think they have a snowball’s chance of winning, but I’m still glad because I have a crush on the uncle.

I like the idea of a show more than I like the show. I’ve posted before that I wish solo singers weren’t included at all. I’d rather there be more spots for folks who don’t have 13 other shows to audition for. More Acrodunk, less Kevin Skinner and Michael Grimm. Speaking of those guys, did Joe Cocker’s sound-alike get put through?

In the box is me ranting about choices revealed on the show that aired first on Wednesday 6/27

It’s baffling to me that Nut Shot guy got a spot and so did “Big Barry”. I think an opportunity was missed to put Stepz and Turf both through and let some real tension build.

That’s what it has been since the first season, which is why I haven’t bothered with it since the first season.

I thought the guy who kept getting kicked in the balls was sent home? Please tell me there wasn’t a *second *person doing that…

I was horrified by that act. (Even though I’m female.)

Okay, just because the guy may not have a great deal of nerve sensitivity – for whatever reason – those parts are still made out of flesh. Repeatedly smashing the same part of your body, any part, is going to result in bruising and taken to extreme, flesh crushed to a degree that the parts of the blood circulation system are destroyed.

Is it really amusing to watch someone risk getting, oh, gangrene and even dying?

I may have spoken out of turn. I watch with a LOT of fast forwarding. I thought a group of guys I saw celebrating was that guy and his entourage.

Yes But:

Stepz Phoned it in completely with the props. Turf NAILED him on this, because it’s true. I figure that the “Head Drop” was gimmicked (Hell, even another guy did the head drop move, and didn’t make it to vegas.) Gimmicks are not talents, and Stepz did something that I still don’t get why with that stick thing in the back of his jacket.

And Also

Turf brought even more, what I call “Bolt Upright” moments. DID HE JUST TWIST HIS HAND AROUND… TWICE?! THE HELL!! … And to a less extent, the time he hug himself backwards, and then sent his arms forward… breaking the assumption that he crossed his arms behind him. Also, being bare chested helpped Turf ALOT. Turf had nothing to hide… and because he is more true and real, deserved to move on, at the expense of Stepz.

But Agreed that some of the “Really?!” acts got through this year. And they weren’t of the same charm as Funny Lil People, or The stick-bomb guy (Mike Fort was it?)

I just want to interrupt for a moment to gripe about the jump cuts while an act is performing–to the judges, to the audience, to Nick. Come on! The act is only on for a few seconds and you spend one-third to one-half of their performance not showing them to me?

Thank you.

As you were.

Oh crud, I missed the edit window because of a phone call.

I just wanted to say: Two words, producers of AGT: split screen.

As much as I like the show, It’s obvious the show expands to fit the schedule. Most reality TV is guilty of this. Most noticeable when The Voice (And Others) bring on professional talent to sing songs (The Voice routinely has the Judges sing their current hits.)

A split screen kills expansion.

But at the same time, I think they are going for the “Are they talking about X or Y?” drama.

Also,

The elimination of Granny G and the “Whatcha Gonna Do?” guy

Proves that they will go for that style of elimination OVER the split screen. IIRC, they addressed and dismissed both of them, collectively.

If you are asking why we can’t have an overlay of the actual judges in the top third, instead of the Xes, while the act unfolds “underneath” … I agree.

**The Scott Brothers just brought it. They took a level or three between Vegas and New York. **

I only saw the last hour, but they were far and away the best of the last six acts.

Of this three hour show, the first hour and 6 minutes were “filler” before a single act appeared on stage. This show would be unbearable without DVR.
They are proving once again that apparently America Doesn’t Have Talent, or at least the producers can’t find any. Some of them are OK at best, but none of them to date have been worth any admission price to a live show, let alone be an opening act anywhere here in Vegas.

I’m still catching up on my watching, a couple episodes behind, but had to add:

yeah, that hugging himself backwards, then uncrossing his arms thing, was so smooth and awesome that it looked like a magic trick.

Some friends of ours came back from Vegas a couple of weeks ago and said they saw Turf performing on the street there, picking up some spare cash at downtimes I suppose.