Amish at the DMV? Amish and photography.

Neither. :^) I go to Geneva College, in Beaver Falls, PA.

Westminster and Grove City are both “Christian” colleges but they have both turned more secular as of late. Geneva is still as strictly Christian as ever. The professors here aren’t even allowed to be anything but evangelical Protestants (it’s a Reformed Presbyterian college, a denomination I didn’t even know existed until I went there). We have some really wacky rules here, like how we can only have guys in our rooms on Wednesday, Saturday, and Friday nights from 7pm-1am (and Sunday from 1-4pm). Even then, the door of the dorm has to be open the entire way and at least two lights have to be turned on. These rules have caused many a Geneva student to turn mentally insane. Luckily, I only live half an hour away from campus so my boyfriend drives down and gets me for the weekend so we don’t have to worry about the silly open dorm rules. :^) Probably one of the reasons I have any shred of sanity left, heh.

Your sister-in-law must be pretty intelligent…it’s hard to get into Grove City! It’s a joke around here that Geneva picks up all the Grove City rejects, but Slippery Rock University picks up the Geneva rejects. (No offense to anyone who goes to any of these! I know a lot of lovely people who go to Slippery Rock, mostly because it’s a hell of a lot cheaper than Geneva, being a state school).

One thing a lot of people misunderstand is that the main priority of the Amish is not to forbid technology itself; it’s to maintain a distinct community. Technology is judged on the standards of whether it is inherently good or bad, but also on whether its use would tend to bring the Amish together while keeping them seperate from the outside world.

So telephones, for example, are considered a suspect technology. Because only two people at a time can have a conversation on it, telephones can weaken the sense of community. And by making it easier to contact non-Amish, telephones can again weaken ties within the Amish community. So the solution in many Amish groups was to allow telephones but only in phone booths outside the house. This was felt to discourage the frivolous use of telephones.

Or consider the distinctive Amish way of dressing. One of the reasons the Amish chose the style of clothing they wear is because it’s distinct. If wearing black hats and bonnets suddenly became fashionable in the outside world, the Amish would likely not be happy that outsiders were following their example. Instead they might choose to adopt a new form of headgear in order to maintain their seperate identity.