Amputation without anesthesia?

That’s what the film 127 Hours mentioned in the OP refers to.

The worst standard infantry weapon in all of history to be shot with was the Civil War era musket. The mid 1800s Minie Ball (which despite the name was bullet shaped, not round) made more horrific wounds than the round balls that came before it and more horrific wounds than the cartridge weapons that came later.

Minie Balls (typically .58 cal during Civil War):

This is what a Minie Ball would do to the thickest bone in your body (femur).

This is what it would do to your skull.

A Civil War era surgeon’s kit looks a lot more like modern carpentry tools than modern surgical kits.

Saving badly damaged limbs was well beyond the ability of medical knowledge at the time. Basically, if you got shot in the arm, they would cut off the arm. If you got shot in the leg, they would cut off the leg. If you got shot in the head you probably didn’t make it back to the aid station anyway, but if you did they would just set you aside and hope for the best. If you got shot in the torso, they’d give you some morphine (if they had any, they often ran out) and set you aside, and again would just hope for the best.

Amputations were done quickly, partly because they often did not have enough morphine on hand for proper surgery and partly because they had a huge line of soldiers that they needed to treat quickly before they bled to death.

Soldiers on both sides feared the Minie Ball, with good reason. They knew that if they got shot, they were royally screwed.

Nightmare fuel indeed.

Thus the nickname for doctors during that era: “Sawbones”. :flushed:

In an episode of the British medical drama series “Bramwell” a female doctor, with the aid of her father and others, proceeds to perform a similar amputation on a man who has got his leg trapped down a hole as a result of a train crash. It is their original intention to give him morphine first but due to the risk of him bleeding to death they decide they don’t have time to wait until they can get access to it and so the amputation is carried out while he is fully conscious despite his protests.
The series is actually set in Britain during the 1890’s, a time when anaesthetics were in widespread use, indicating that they would actually do the same thing today if a similar emergency should arise.
Actually I’ve read online that the current war in Ukraine has resulted in a certain number of amputations being carried out without anaesthesia, so I would assume that’s the truth.

Though called muskets didn’t they have rifled barrels? That is what the design of the Minie Ball was for.

As long as they were the same basic pattern as the smooth bore muskets they replaced, they called them rifle-muskets or rifled muskets, often abbreviated to just “musket”. And yes they usually had rifled barrels.

Shorter patterns were called “rifles”.

For example, the Springfield Model 1855 was a rifle-musket. It had a 40 inch barrel and 3 barrel bands attaching it to the stock. A shorter version was produced at Harpers Ferry, which was called the Model 1855 rifle (or sometimes the Harper’s Ferry Model 1855). It had a 33 inch barrel and therefore only needed two barrel bands to attach it to the stock.

Other than the barrel length (and of course the stock length to support it) the weapons were identical.

A large number of the Model 1863 rifle-muskets were converted into breech loading “trapdoor Springfields” after the Civil War. It was a lot less expensive than making new breech-loading rifles. Despite having the same barrel length as the muskets that they were modified from, these were referred to as “rifles” just because of the change from muzzle-loading to breech-loading.

but wait, there’s more …

from the wiki page:

Gordon describes what he calls Liston’s most famous case in his book, as quoted verbatim below.

Amputated the leg in under 2 1⁄2 minutes (the patient died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene; they usually did in those pre-Listerian days). He amputated in addition the fingers of his young assistant (who died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene). He also slashed through the coat tails of a distinguished surgical spectator, who was so terrified that the knife had pierced his vitals he fainted from fright (and was later discovered to have died from shock).

those were the days …

Surgery during the pre-anaesthetic era was dealt with as part of our history course during the fifth year in high school, and the textbook even included part of the famous letter written by an amputee in response to surgeons who opposed the use of anaesthesia on the grounds that “unendurable agony is the best of tonics”. When I mentioned this to my mother years later her response was that she felt 16-year-olds were too young to learn about that sort of thing.

Talk about the horrors of war …

I broke my arm when I was 13. The doctor decided to set it without anesthesia because that would require an going over to the hospital (we were at his office). So he told me to “man up” and had my mom and hos nurse hold me down. It hurt worse than the actual accident and I ended up with whiplash. The joke was on him because my feet got free and I ended up kicking him in his crotch whole screaming profanity. Neither I or my mother apologized.

I actually read in some encyclopedia or something years ago that surgery without anaesthetic “was an agonising experience from which most patients died from shock”. I think that was probably an inaccurate statement. I think the practice would have been abandoned centuries ago if most patients didn’t survive it. A lot of patients did die during surgery, true, but more than likely not the majority. Does anyone have any access to any figures that would confirm this?

I was twelve when I broke my arm. I was given a local but the doctor also warned me that “You can’t anesthestitize bone”. He didn’t lie. If he hadn’t had my other arm trussed up in a finger trap thing(using that arm as a guide to set the bones in my broken arm) I’d have punched him. He cleverly positioned himself out of range for a kick when he set the bones.

Similar level of pain having a pin removed from the joint of my toe after healing from a surgery later in life.

Survive the pain of amputation? Sure, documented all over the place. But bone pain….gaaahhhh, only severe sciatic pain is worse in my experience