Amy Adams as Janis Joplin?

Whether she’s right for this particular part, I don’t know, but she can definitely sing. She’s sung on several musicals. “Enchanted” has been mentioned, and she also was in a production of “Into the Woods” in NYC this summer.

Don’t forget being afraid of toilets.

Susan Tedeschi? She might be a little too smooth for Joplin, but she is a hell of a blues singer.

Could you be thinking of Dana Fuchs? She’s released two albums, she played Joplin in an Off-Broadway show called “Love, Janis,” and sang a couple of songs in Across the Universe.

I suppose it doesn’t matter much as long as the performance as good and the age gap isn’t too distracting, but this sounds like another one of those cases of weird, age-inappropriate casting in a biopic. Amy Adams is 38 and Joplin is a member of that ‘27 Club’ thing. See also: Kevin Spacey in his mid-40s playing Bobby Darin (who became famous in his early 20s and died when he was 37), and talks to have Mike Myers in his early- to mid-40s play Keith Moon (who died at 32).

Dana Fuchs.

I’ll take your word for it, as I’ve seen neither of those productions. The linked video showed someone who can sing; I didn’t think it was extraordinary, but that’s just personal taste.

Don’t forget she also does quite a bit of singing in The Muppets.

I’m just gonna go for it and say that Amy Adams can do Janis Joplin’s gravelly voice. Adams’ natural voice is very unaffected and middle-of-the-road, but I bet she’s a chameleon, and she’s gonna blow us away with the rough and raw and throat-shredding howling of the Texas banshee.

Jamie Foxx lip-synced some of the time. Some of the time it was him singing. Sometimes they blended it together within a song. It really was an amazing performance.

That would be great. I’m sure she can get some voice training for it, so she doesn’t actually shred her throat. It’ll be interesting to see if the project ends up happening.

I absolutely love that you didn’t object to me sending 31 people to your home every day for a month to sing to you.

Juliet Simms?

Just so you know it was seen and appreciated :smiley:

Show of hands, who thinks Amy Adams looks a day over 30?

Not me. She’s either got disgustingly good genes or bathes in the blood of virgins.

Simmer down, Loach. I probably will catch The Fighter, if you say so.

To clarify my earlier post, I wasn’t trying to run Joplin down – just that her approach to mental “enhancements” was far from apologetic. She didn’t really AFAIK have that tragic element of Cash or Charles from dope or pills – just the party drugs, unless I’m wrong.

Speaking of Ray Charles, I’m with whoever said it’s better to have a great actor play the person rather than be a “singing mime.” It verges into vaudeville. And that’s why I’m not thrilled with Ray – fine movie about a brief time in the man’s life, but having everyone on press junkets trot out what a great pianist Foxx is/was took me out of the movie in retrospect. Ray Charles was a pianist. Foxx and Zach Galifianakis and other comedians are no Ray Charles (or Victor Borges or Dudley Moore). It’s a gimmick, and a good one, but I don’t need to know that much about the actor’s little hobbies or personal life, just create the movie.

ETA and Foxx was terrific – I think he’s not a good actor, but he had that one role, and he nailed it. I don’t know how he did it, but good for him.

Nicole Sullivan could be a Joplin, speaking of comics.

Simmer down? Really?

Bring it on, brother. But you pay the per diem.

I’ll bet that Pink could do it.