An American Werewof in London

I saw it again the other day and, as always, this question popped into my head:

How do you pronounce Jenny Agutter’s last name?

Like the sheet metal tube on the eave of a house = a gutter

If you google it, you get two slightly different version

A (as in at) gutter

or

Ag ut er, emphasis on the AG

[quote=“mikecurtis, post:2, topic:808479”]

[/QUOTE]

I’ve used Youtube a lot as a pronunciation guide, but I’ve found some channels are more trustworthy than others. I don’t think I’ve ever heard her name pronounced that way. The interviewer in this clip says her name about seven seconds in. As she doesn’t correct him, I’ll assume that’s how she pronounces it.

ETA: In my American accent, I’ve always pronounced the “r” and softened the “t” so it sounds more like “AGGitter”.

[/QUOTE]

I don’t think that’s right. The rhythm is like “Agatha”, as in neofishboy’s clip. Also here:

[/QUOTE]

The entire emmasaying YouTube channel seems to just be someone using a computer speech program.

i had always pronounced it a gutter as that is how it “should” be pronounced. I know, however that proper names don’t always follow “proper” rules, so when I saw that pronunciation video I felt vindicated. Why would a pronunciation cite have a specific proper name if they didnt actually know the “real” pronunciation? I know, I know. . . I realize that’s asking alot of the internet.

As far as an interviewer saying it one way without the person correcting them, there are many reasons why that would happen: maybe she didnt hear it, maybe she’s too polite to correct someone publicly, maybe she wasnt even in the studio when the announcer filmed the intro, maybe she’s sick of always correcting her name. . .

so. . .I have to admit I don’t know for sure.

mc

At least I’m not alone in my confusion. :smiley:

If this helps, I though she was pretty hot in Logan’s Run.

Yeah, me too!