An article from Ireland's Independent about Trump's victory

The poster Smitty is a gawd damn genius and most of you liberals around here can’t even glimpse his insight.

City of Houston or the whole metro area?

You’re right. I actually hesitated before posting Chicago and probably shouldn’t have. I’ll retract it.

That’s pretty good. If Trump said that in the debates the internet would’ve crashed.

The sentence I bolded is one of the most blatantly false sentences I have ever read on the SDMB. Indeed, the second sentence confirms the falsehood in the first.

There is absolutely nothing true or accurate of fact-based about the first sentence. It is a completely disconnected from reality in every way.

I can’t believe it sat there for 10 hours without being specifically challenged and denounced for the idiocy it contains.

Are there MORE mega-city voters than buttfuck-egypt voters? Why should voters from cousin-marryin’ land count for more than those mega-city voters?

Well, lemme 'splain.

You had your voters who voted for Hillary. And you had your voters who voted for Trump. Popular vote wise - which as we all know is meaningless if we’ve been paying attention - Hillary has an edge of some 2.8 million.

However, it’s been widely speculated that millions of previous Democrat voters stayed home this time because Hillary Clinton was such an unsavory candidate in so many ways. The same has been said for those who’d previously voted Republican but abstained this time because they likewise found Trump too unsavory to vote for.

So when you add up the voters who voted for Donald Trump and then combine them with the ones who previously voted Republican but abstained this time, and then add to that amount the ones who previously voted Democratic but abstained this time, you have a total that easily exceeds Hillary’s popular vote margin of 2.8 million votes. Thus it may be honestly and correctly said that most American voters indeed chose not to vote for Hillary Clinton.

I await your apologies, gentlemen.

Your channeling of Trump-logic is quite impressive.

“If we take this formula I just pulled out of my ass instead of actual existing numbers, Trump won both ways! Woooooo, Trump!” I’m actually kind of surprised that formula made it through the paper towel tube intact, actually.

Although I suppose if you think Trump is going to make America great again (presumably by reverting America to the 1950s, as per SA’s usual bullshittery), it makes sense.

“Since a rock must have rolled downhill somewhere in the US on November 8th, it was a landslide victory!”

You’re trying to debunk the claim that “most American voters preferred Clinton,” by counting the number of Americans who didn’t vote.

This is remarkable, even by your standards.

Harris County, which is most of Greater Houston. And I was wrong about “30 states smaller”–using that list on Wikipedia strained my math abilities:

Even suburban Fort Bend County (major metropolis: Sugarland), former stomping grounds of Tom “I can’t believe he’s not in jail” DeLay, went for Clinton. Although other Democrats on the ballot fared less well…

But…that doesn’t fit the “Hillary Clinton Was a Terrible Candidate” narrative!!!

How can you post something that contradicts the HCWATC narrative??!?!?!??

That’s very careful phrasing! You could equally say that most American voters chose not to vote for Trump. IOW that’s a reach too far.

Thanks for the clarification and the cites.

Of course you realize that this means that most American voters also chose not to vote for Trump, by an even wider margin?

I’d await your apology, but I know I’ll never get one. Because inconvenient little things like facts don’t matter, do they? It’s all that lying, liberal media.