An autumnal dilemma

Autumn has come.

The yellow leaves have fallen.

Our lawn is covered in gold, with tufts of green poking through.

Our neighbour has raked. There are no golden leaves on his lawn. It is green, even yet.

There is a straight dividing line between his green and our gold.

I could buy paper bags made from trees that have been clear cut, and labouriously fill them with our yellow bounty, and then put them in my internal combustion vehicle and, fueled by dead dinosaurs whose carbon has been trapped for millions of years, drive them to a landfill.

Or, I could sit on my steps in the autumn evening, sipping my ale, not expending my limited personal energies, watching my golden leaves riffle in the breeze, occasionally drifting past the forbidden boundary into my neighbour’s pristine green.

And then the snow will come and the greens and yellows will all be white.

What say the Dopers?

Mow them.

Agree.
Does your mower mulch? Then just do that and relax. Or mow and empty grass and leaves into a receptacle for personal or municipal mulching destination.
Rakes are so passe.
Unless of course you can burn. Sure it may not be carbon acceptable. But add friends, music, booze, etc… and it is all worthwhile. October night party.

Just don’t, for the love of fuck, involve a damn leaf blower. They are the work of a hateful and unloving God.

More serious answer: fallen leaves provide shelter and food for countless species of small and tiny critters, whose role in our ecosystems is unknown to most. Leave them be, sez I. They’re part of nature, sez I.

You could leave them there and hope the worms deal with them. Or you could start a compost heap and concentrate the process.

That’s what I did when I had to deal with a lawn and leaves. My lawn mower had a bag on the back to catch yard clippings. I’d run over the leaves, which got chopped and propelled into the bag. Remove the bag, scoop them into leaf bags and dispose of responsibly.

I tried out letting nature take it’s course on my lawn. It may just be the combination of location/climate at my spot, But the leaves did not become one with the cycle of life in my yard. Come spring they were still there in nearly same condition. Not a problem. I just mowed them up on mulch setup in spring. I do like to try to let things work naturally. Never water my lawn. Mostly hand weed it. It isn’t so pretty, but good enough. Not hosting Croquet matches there.

If you don’t rake it, how do you get your leaf piles for diving into? Got to dive into leaf piles, or it isn’t really autumn.

Absolutely. I take back my rakes being passe comment, if the alternative might be a leaf blower. No. No!

Leaf blowers are also becoming light snow blowers round here. No! A little broom will do as well.

Buy wooden toothpicks and skewer each leaf to the earth, preventing them encroaching on the neighbor’s verdant plain. Lots of toothpicks.

Another vote for mowing and mulching. If your mower does not have mulching blades, might be worth your while to get a set and swap them out. Lots easier than bagging, and your green lawn will be all the greener next Spring with all those leaves mulched into it.

Leave them leaves alone. Or what @purplehorseshoe said.

One of my jobs this weekend was to mow, bagging the clippings and shredded leaves for compost. I decided to get it done Friday afternoon, but the Kubota’s battery wasn’t cooperating.

Charged (with a trickle charger that’s permanently mounted on the mower) but wouldn’t start Saturday. Finally started Sunday, then less than halfway through the drive belt broke. AutoParts place was closed.

To quote Lewis Black, “FUCK FALL”.

In addition to mowing over leaves, I try to shred some in an infernal electric device I acquired awhile back.

Shredded leaves make an excellent feeder mulch for the garden.

I don’t mulch mine until late November. Until then I just sit back and laugh at my neighbors who rake evry week .

Leave them. Plant some bushes and trees appropriate to your climate. Death to all lawns!

My husband just runs the lawn mower over them at some point. He doesn’t bag them, just leaves them on the ground. Some years it snows before he can get out there so he waits until spring and does it with the first mowing. Our lawn is fine unless you notice the creeping charlie that’s running amok. But it’s green and I don’t care that much to spend the time and money to do anything about it. In fact maybe an entire lawn of creeping charlie would be nice. It wouldn’t have to be mowed.

Piled composting shredded leaves create a spot for your snakes to brumate. Won’t somebody think of the snakes?