An ode to citrus in baking

Starbuck’s iced lemon pound cake…TO…DIE…FOR!

Lemon bars…heavenly.

Key lime pie…surely cause for eternal damnation in hell.

Lemon pudding or custard…delightful.

I truly cannot get enough of citrus delights such as these.

It is approaching a fixation, I swear to Og.

I don’t have any recipies to offer, but I will greedily take note of any that are posted.

I made this cheesecake recipe the other day:

Beat two packages of Neufchatel light cream cheese with two eggs and 2/3 cup of sugar until creamy. Add a little less than a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Pour into a graham cracker crust and bake at 300 degrees for about an hour. Let cool.

I made a nice swirly marble pattern on the top with lemon curd:
Beat 3 eggs with 1/3 cup sugar and the zest of one lemon until light-colored and foamy. Add 6 Tbsp (2/3 stick) of butter, cut into pieces, and 1/2 cup lemon juice, and heat over medium heat, whisking, until thickened. Simmer for a few more seconds, then remove from heat and let cool.

This made tons of extra really delicious lemon curd.

Try the lemon tart brulee on Epicurious: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/4210
Truly wonderful. You don’t have to do the carmelized sugar, it’s just as good without. People who don’t even like lemon liked this one. Very rich. It’s also good cold, tho room temp is my favorite.

Here is my favorite Key Lime Pie recipe. It comes out almost like a light cheesecake texture. Actually, if you have ever bought the Edward’s brand of key lime pie frozen at the store, this is very similar.

Key Lime Pie

For the crust
1 cup zweiback crumbs or graham cracker crumbs
2/3 cup blanched almonds, toasted lightly, cooled completely, and
ground fine in a food processor
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup sugar

For filling
1 pound cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup key lime juice
a 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk

Make the crust:
In a bowl combine well the crumbs, the almonds, the butter, and the sugar, press the mixture onto the bottom and side of a 10-inch pie plate, and bake the shell in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 10 minutes, or until it is browned lightly. Let the shell cool on a rack.

Make filling
In a food processor blend cream cheese, lime juice, and condensed milk until smooth. Pour filling into shell. Refrigerate several hours or until firm.

My wife put some lemon zest in an angel’s food cake she baked yesterday. Yummy.

This is a recipe for a 3 layer lemon curd cake covered in swiss meringue, totally impressive and just delicious.