An Olympic Silver Medal is not a win?!

I think it also depends on whether you occupied first place for a while (and how long).
Obviously, it differs from person to person, but I reckon coming straight into bronze position near the end of a contest is going to feel different from holding first place for a while, then being knocked down to bronze afterwards.

this was my thought as well.

EVERYONE beat everyone that came in behind them.

Until the werewolves come. Then, silver medalists are WINNERS.

Tell Roy Jones Jr., the remaining members of the 1972 USA men’s basketball team, Jamie Salé and David Pelletier (Canadian figure skating couple “robbed” in 2000 by a French judge, then later given a gold), and Sylvie Fréchette (Canadian synchronized swimmer “given” a gold after a controversy concerning the judging) how “important” or “meaningful” a silver medal is.

Zara is correct; an “Olympic win” and an “Olympic medal win” are two different things.

If I competed in something where I came in second, and somebody congratulated me on my “win,” my instinct would be to correct them too. I would assume they must have heard wrong, and thought I won when I was really only a runner-up.

…and I might feel a bit annoyed at having to correct a reporter about it, too. I would wonder why they didn’t know who actually won.

It doesn’t matter if she’s correct or not. “Get your facts straight” is a rude thing to say. Being right does not make what you say not rude.

And this idea that it’s not rude because she’s recognizing the true winner? How in the world does that make it not rude to the reporter, you know, the person she’s actually talking to?

A silver medal is winning the same way winning a 100 bucks in the lottery is winning. Yes, you won something but you did not win the lottery.

No “steak knives” references yet? Tsk.

That’s a very strange article. All about the new yacht her mother’s got, then one paragraph to say that Zara was grumpy.

Wonder if the journalist has some sort of history with Mrs Tindall.