Anachronisms that persist

“Apisonad” is what someone from Spain would say to tell a group of peole to start tamping down (In Argentina we would say “Apisonen”).
“tamps down” is “apisona”. (when used to describe an action, “apisona” could also be an order to someone to start tamping down (the singular form of “Apisonad/Apisonen”))

(And then we wonder why people find it difficult to learn Spanish :stuck_out_tongue: )

I still remember my grandmother’s ice box. She didn’t get an electric fridge till after the war. And I also remember the horse-drawn cart that the ice-man carried the ice in and picked up this enormous block of ice with giant tongs to carry to her box.

And I still have a dial phone that actually works. I am a bit surprised that the phone company (which is actually the cable company still supports this obsolete technology. But then I switched from pulse dialing to tone only 20 years ago when I had to (it cost a few dollars extra a month) to get a DSL connection.

The first is interesting, and I did not know that word origin:

mid 17th century: from the phrase hand in cap ; originally a pastime in which one person claimed an article belonging to another and offered something in exchange, any difference in value being decided by an umpire. All three deposited forfeit money in a cap; the two opponents showed their agreement or disagreement with the valuation by bringing out their hands either full or empty. If both were the same, the umpire took the forfeit money; if not it went to the person who accepted the valuation. The term handicap race was applied (late 18th century) to a horse race in which an umpire decided the weight to be carried by each horse, the owners showing acceptance or dissent in a similar way: hence in the late 19th century handicap came to mean the extra weight given to the superior horse.

Definitions from Oxford Languages

However, Roman legionaries were never paid in salt, that is a urban legend.

The origin of the term salarium is unclear, and perhaps in the pre-Republic days it did have something to do with salt. But Romans soldiers were not paid in salt, their food was cooked and salt added as needed.

Here is a interesting discussion of the term:

I too often operate on the principle that, if I ignore something long enough, it will no longer need to be dealt with.

I assume this comment is based on the fact that for any medical problem this is invariably true?

I’ve always liked, “All bleeding stops”.

Yeah, and some ‘medical problems’ are not worth treating. “Beans make me fart. fix that”.

No problem:

he can buy that stuff, I don’t need to prescribe it. Waste of my time . . .

I was going to say, I don’t think that stuff really works anyway. But according to this double-blind study it actually does (I’d hate to be the one in charge of monitoring the control group!):

This sounds like the time to cue up some Tommy Cooper doctor jokes.

“Doctor, I keep having this dream where all these beautiful women are rushing towards me, but I just push them away. More of them come, endlessly, and I just keep pushing them away.”
“Well, what do you want me to do about it?”
“Amputate my arm.”

“But doctor, seriously - I have broken my arm in several places.”
“Well you should stop going to those places.”

Doctor: “Any problems lately?”

Patient: “I have been having constant flatulence lately, but I don’t know that it’s a big deal because they’re always silent, and don’t smell at all. I’ve farted 20 times during this checkup, and I bet you didn’t even notice.”

Doctor: “Hmmm, take these pills twice a day, and come back in a week.”

---- One Week Later ----

Patient: “Hey doc, I don’t know what those pills were that you gave me, but not only has my extreme flatulence not cleared up, it now smells terrible! Like death!!”

Doctor: “OK, we cleared up your sinuses; now let’s work on your hearing.”

I apologize for the post that started the current hijack.

Another anachronism is this very place itself. A message “board”? There’s no board here now. But it does reflect the past bulletin boards of public spaces

Fine by me. As an accomplice helping to hijack my own post, clearly I don’t mind a good hijack.

Thanks for getting it back on track though.

I know a guy who is in his mid 60’s (Chicago burbs), owns a paving company and has been doing paving since he was in grade school and calls it ashpalt. Cracks me up every time I hear it.

Don’t some people still refer to a remote control as a “clicker,” even though remote controls that actually make a clicking sound are way in the distant past?

Good one, which I had forgotten. My wife still calls it that, or, sometimes, the “poofer” – I’m not certain of the etymology of the latter one, but I suspect it comes from the idea that you push a button, and poof the channel changes, like magic.

In the 1970s my grandfather still had an ice house - he sold ice to tourists who had iceboxes in their RVs, I think (I’m not old enough to remember when granddad got the ice from a nearby lake in the winter - by the 70s I think he bought the ice).

Probably an aging stoner.

That’s just crazy.

The abbreviations cc and bcc are based on ‘carbon copy’. It’s been at least 3 decades since I used carbon paper.

“On line”. In the early days of computing, when one machine needed to communicate with another, they had to be attached with a physical cord or “line.” Processes that could be completed without this communication were “off line.”