Analog phone & fax and VoIP

I use my landline and fax maybe twice a year and I don’t want to pay $30/mo for that usage so I’m going to put both the analog phone and fax on VoIP. What equipment do I need and how does the hookup go?

At my work, we have our phone lines through spectrum and other than the connection from their VOIP modem to the rest of the system, we didn’t do anything else. Our phones and fax machine work just fine. It’s my understanding that an alarm system would not be able to use it for dialing out however.

Unlike broadband via DSL, you don’t need to worry about adding filters to fax/phone lines.

Then here is a question. Do they make DSL modem/routers that also have VoIP built in?

ETA: Like would this give me my two analog lines and DSL internet and the router?

We use Ooma for VOIP and like it pretty much. You do need to purchase a VOIP modem-like device, though. I did not look into modem/VOIP combos since I already have a regular modem.

Whatever service you use, make sure you do whatever is necessary for 911 calls to work (assuming you have a phone plugged into a wall jack). I remember that in the early days of Magic Jack etc., that was a major problem.

I used magicjack for years, although got rid of it 3 years ago.

Back then it was a ~$30 buyin for a small gizmo, and ~$30/year for service. Which gives you one analog line and one phone number in whichever area code you choose. One end of the gizmo plugs into your internet router via a typical network cable (RJ-45), and the other end plugs into an ordinary analog phone or fax machine via a typical phone cable (RJ-11 or 12). Of course just like a traditional phone line, multiple analog devices can plug into that one line with a splitter, but only one can use it at a time.

As @Mama_Zappa says, part of the set-up is telling them where geographically you are so if you dial 911 on that phone they can send the call to the right answering facility.

Can recommend for the use case of the very occasional but very necessary fax.

I’ve been using for a long time the following:

VoIP.ms as provider. On a pay per minute plan. So much cheaper than POTS, Cable Co., etc. We don’t talk much and most calls are to/from toll-free lines so those are completely free.

PAP2T device by “Linksys” or whatever branding goes with that now. Older device but does the basics.

I have the same phone number going back decades. When we moved I just unplugged it there and plugged it in here. Change a geo setting just to improve performance. Simple.

I checked and it is supposed to handle faxing. I’ve never tried it. I just use one of those free-to-fax sites (limited number of course, for free) on the occasions I need to fax every once in a really long time.

One thing to note about DIY device purchase and setup is the device has to be unlocked. You can use any provider you like. Buy from reputable people with good return policies.

We got rid of land lines about 6 years ago. Have not missed it one single bit.

A side note on landlines: We still have ours, as we’ve had the phone number for nearly 35 years. At some point, I suppose I’ll just port it over to a cell phone (then to Google Voice); we did that with the in-laws’ phone when MIL moved to assisted living. Well, we did the port-to-cell-phone step, and I’m paying about 10 bucks a month to keep that active.

For now, we still have it (through Verizon FIOS). It’s 25 bucks a month, which really is wasted money; we basically never call out on the one phone that is plugged in; the ringer is off so we don’t get incoming calls (they go straight to voicemail), and we may send a fax twice a year if that.

I was looking at it seems like there are some no cost ViOP services that are very limited but enough for what we need.