Ancient Rome, Ancient Greece, or Ancient Egypt- if you HAD to live in one...

Yup, that’s it. Don’t know why it slipped my mind. And you’re right about it being “out”.

You’d be equestrian for your own protection. Since you’d be inserted to a separate (though identical) timeline your actions couldn’t really have any effect on our own world even if you became the first regnant Empress and made worship of the god Carrot Top the state religion, but it’s been my experience in helping people to temporally relocate that they can’t help playing god a bit (though that’s a whole lot easier in Rome) using their 21st century knowledge for personal and political gain, so we always put them into a class where they’ll be comfortable BUT not aristocratic or able to make a power play as they invariably end up getting crucified, sold into slavery, or worst of all, become a mad emperor who ends up letting the Huns take over the empire (the Hungarians are the Barzini of history- it’s been them pulling the strings all along- it’s no coincidence that the US became involved in WW2 months after Zsa Zsa Gabor emigrated here).

My impression is that women had it slightly better in ancient Rome than in Greece or Egypt, so I’d go for Rome.

What’s not to like?
They had;
-bikinis
-orgies
-almost pizza
-drinkable wine (greek wine is awful)
-heated baths
Egypt has too many diseases, Greece is bad because the cuisine isn’t good.
I’ll take Rome.

I’d go for ancient Rome, but not in Rome itself. Too great a risk of disease. A nice estate in northern Italia.

Oh, Rome it is. I also would like to live in a nice piece of land in northern Italy. Being a woman is not easy anyways (can I get a sex change before relocation?).

Well, Rome, but mainly so I could mount an expediton to link the Western & Eastern Hemispheses at at time when they were on a more equal technological footing.

History would still be a mess, but maybe not as terrible as it has been. I’d be willing to endure the strigilling for the sake of this difference.

It would have to Ancient Greece, but only if I get to be a hetaera. Seems like life pretty much sucked for women otherwise. If pre-Minoan Crete is an option, however, count me in. The most fabulous fashions in the ancient world.

Rome, no doubt.

And all I’d ask for is a few pounds of silver (I could make do with just the Gold and Silver I have right now), up to date vaccinations (even for the weird stuff) and a medical kit with stuff available OTC. Oh, and much better Latin that I can speak now, that’s about the only “fantasy” thing but with a few months of 12hour a day lessons even that can be done.

I’d set myself up as a Physician from the Mysterious far east, and have fun curing headaches, lancing boils with sterile insturments+ Neosporin, and curing a few things with Vet grade Tertracycline. I’d even make sure not to change history. Vitamins, some OTC painkillers, a few herbs, and a field surgery kit.

See, Greece is far too insular & a little xenophobic. Dudes would know you are a foriegner.

Romans wouldn’t care.

But you might change history simply by curing someone of something they would have gone on to die of!

Egypt, as a woman I’d at least be able to own property, appear in court, initiate divorce, borrow money, inherit property, make a legitimate will and sign contracts. I would be able to leave the house without a male relative and be able to order my own household. I could bathe as much as I want, use cosemtics and perfume, wear fabulous wigs and dresses and not have to wear layers and layers of woollen shawls for the sake of modesty.

Both the Romans and Greeks thought Egyptian women were given too much freedom, so it seems like the place for me!

I’d take Rome. Living an epic life as a wealthy Roman male, well that’d be a dream. I’d rather live an epic life as a Roman than pretty much any other time frame in history (though being a Doge in Venice would be nice too).

However, included in my epic Roman life would be a year or two governing in Athens. I’d take the Acropolis and its view anyday. Looking out over modern Athens is incredible enough. Imagine looking out over ancient Athens?

I’d just love to walk around ancient Rome as well. Finally, with my modern knowledge, I’d build something terribly impressive that would withstand the sands of time on the location of the Vatican. Just an attempt to preempt the creation of such a vile state.

So, it would be okay if they created “a vile state”…ooooohh…three feet to the left?
'Cause, um…that’s att the difference it would, you know, make.
Ummm-hmm.

Vile state?

I must confess that my knowledge of these three ancient societies is rather limited, so all I can come up with is the thought that a toga seems really comfortable. Probably a bad reason to make the choice, but I’m going with Greece.

(Also, aren’t the Ancient Greeks really sexually liberated? Or is it just “little boy sex”, which I’m not a fan of?)

I don’t think even the Greeks were into sex with pre-adolescent boys.

That’s pretty much all the Greeks were into sex with. :slight_smile: Adult women or pre-adolescent boys, that was your choice.

Rome no question.

Cite about sex with pre-adolescent boys?

Don’t do it, Captain… it’s a trick!