And you think our Sun is big? HAH!

A picture really is worth a thousand words…

http://www.rense.com/general72/size.htm

Ah, you remind me of when men were real men, and woman were real woman and Green Fuzzy things from Antares were real Fuzzy things from Antares.

Jim {We really are less than a grain of sand when considered in cosmic proportion}

o/ It's a great big universe and we're all really puny. We're just tiny little specks about the size of Mickey Rooney. It's big and black and inky and we're just really dinky. It's a big universe and we're not! o/

Ahem. You must be thinking of the time when men were real men, women were real women, and small fuzzy things from Alpha Centauri were real small fuzzy things from Alpha Centauri. [/nitpick]

Or,. as Eric once said…

*Our galaxy itself contains a hundred million stars;
It’s a hundred thousand light-years side to side;
It bulges in the middle sixteen thousand light-years thick,
But out by us it’s just three thousand light-years wide.
We’re thirty thousand light-years from Galactic Central Point,
We go 'round every two hundred million years;
And our galaxy itself is one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

Thanks a lot for sharing this link. I’m amazed. I didn’t think the differences in star’s sizes could be so wide.

That one star (sun) is called Betelgeuse. They said Betelgeuse. Good Og, don’t say Betelgeuse a third time…

whoops…

Very cool link tho. I didn’t realize. I was under the impression our sun was a medium-sized star. Apparently not.

Great…yet another reason for me to feel insignificant. :frowning:

And the next pic in the series shows Antares looking really small, next to David Hasselhoff’s ego.

Or, for that time when men were real men, women were real women, and sheep were real scared!

“You see that bright star up there? That’s the ‘Dog Star’!”

“Are you serious?”

IIRC from teaching undergrads, our sun is what’s termed a yellow dwarf star. It lies on the main sequence, but because of its lack of mass, it doesn’t get nearly as bright as larger stars do, but, since its still converting hydrogen into helium, it lies on the main sequence. Our sun’s small, but, compared to the total stellar population of our Galaxy, its not too unusual.

What Angua said. Also, the larger stars are much rarer, and have much shorter lifetimes, so it’s not too inaccurate to think of the Sun as an “average” star.

Noticeably, they don’t SHOW any stars smaller than our sun. To pick a nearby small red dwarf, Wolf 359 is somewhere around 0.18 solar radii. That means that, on the third picture in the series, it would probably appear much closer to the size of jupiter and saturn, than to our sun.

That’s a bit of an unfair comparison, as David Hasselhoff’s ego is mostly empty space. :cool:

So’re galaxies.

Thanks for sharing that. I just sat and showed it to my four-year-old son and he was amazed.
Thanks again

Learn something new every day. I didn’t know that Wolf 359 is a real star. I thought the Star Trek writers just made it up.

Yet nonetheless…

And I’d appreciate song and recording info on the one’s above. They’d go well with some others I have.

The song above is Eric Idle from the Monty Python movie Meaning of Life. And I’ll add the song Benson, Arizona from Dark Star to your list.

Looking at Antares, I’m wondering what factor sun screen I’d need to have a little bathe in its light.