Andy Warhol on exhibit in Iran

And it is wildly popular!

I admit I did not know these things:

I can’t help but be happy about this. I love art and I’m always glad to see others enjoy it as well.

Warhol himself spent time in the Shah’s Iran doing commissioned portraits and scarfing caviar.

His assistant Bob Colacello reminisced

“ I mean walking in the streets, Andy was strange looking with his white wig and his pallor, but that could happen anywhere. I think people treated Andy with a kind of respect and curiosity. They wanted to meet him.”

After the 1968 assassination attempt, Warhol left the world of serious art for a 1970’s disco dazzle of celebrities and dictators. He privately admitted his revulsion to Colacello, but at least it was company who took care to keep the stray gunman barred from the party.

Wake me when they show Robert Mapplethorpe there.

If you’re interested in Andy Warhol, check this out. It’s an entire building (7 floors, I think) dedicated to his work, located in Pittsburgh, PA, his birthplace.

I’ve been to the museum in Pittsburgh, and it’s terrific. A temporary exhibit when I was there focused on his work with rock musicians. There was a letter from Mick Jagger to Warhol on Rolling Stones stationery that said (paraphrasing), “We’re so glad you’ve agreed to do an album cover for us! We know it’ll be smashing. Now, you’re shortly going to hear from our solicitors, telling you all the things you can’t do. Pay them no mind.”

This may also be of interest: Andy Warhol: Supreme Court justices take much more than 15 minutes to consider his silkscreens of Prince | CNN Politics