Angry GOP pundit spews venom all over the GOP working class & the invective is just breath taking

You can’t just declare “it’s just as possible”. One thing happened, the other didn’t. Bernie is losing. Trump is winning. So far, you are wrong. It’s not just as possible.

Half would be a liberal estimate. And I grok in fullness the irony of calling it ‘liberal.’

Except that Dubyah had the backing of the Republican establishment.

As I said in another thread there are a good number of Republicans that sincerely believed that most Republicans are good people.

It is a very rude awakening for moderates and more rational ones to find that there were a good number of Republicans that just follow the worse angels of their nature.

Sorry, I was responding to the quote and didn’t realize it.

Nonsense. A populist meathead who tells Democrats what they want to hear and is lacking in realistic solutions that have a chance of being enacted would only get around 41.9% of the vote.

Bernie appeals to the Liberal intelligentsia. As example, I’m sure that he’s more popular on the SDMB than he is in the general US population. He’s not a left-side Trump.

So unless you have any reason to believe that your average “put it to the man” 25 year old, pot smoking, dreadlocked Walmart employee feels like Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton are pretty well taking the words right out of his mouth, I see no reason to doubt that a left-side Trump is perfectly possible. I don’t know who would be able to become that person, but I’m sure they’re out there.

Thank whatever gods there be that I’m not part of that particular group.

That’s what made him dangerous. :slight_smile:

I’m willing to bet that everyone here does.:slight_smile:

Also, notice that patriotism apparently follows a strict party line. Democrats need not apply.

And the ones who show up at his rallies do seem to be the same kind of people that NR pundit is disparaging, and they do seem to deserve every bit of it. Og, it’s like Trump’s whole campaign is a joke Jeff Foxworthy told, on a day when he was running such a high fever that he forgot jokes are supposed to be funny.

Heh. Sounds like white people are finally getting the same condescending rhetoric dished to them that the Cosby’s of the world have beaten black people with for decades.

A left-side Trump . . . a populist who relies on his arrogant flamboyant personality, offers simplistic solutions to the masses and does not appeal to the intelligentsia . . . Hmmmm . . .

Og, where is Huey Long now that we finally need him?! Are there enough tissue samples left for cloning?!

Loved your post, Exapno.

Y’know, I get the feeling that as Donald and the Trumpetistas do not read the National Review anyway, they are not going to feel very insulted.

But if any actual readers of the National Review still needed to be advised at this point that they’re aboard a runaway train of their own making, they’d be beyond help. And the most you can hope for with a runaway train is to brake it or jump clear, you can’t steer it.

And loving it! No… wait …they’re not loving it.

2700+ replies to the linked National Review article and most are like these. And these are from conservatives.

I’m not sure what you’re implying? Assassinations are a good an proper way for parties to deal with popular but stupid politicians running for President?

What most people don’t seem to realize yet is that Trump is the left-side Trump.

No, I’m implying that for some reason, there has not been any American figure who could have made a plausible left-side Trump for 70 years. Why is that?! Yeah, we could really use a Huey Long in the WH right now! Better than Trump or Clinton, anyway!

Who took on the Standard Oil men
And whipped their ass
Just like he promised he’d do?
Ain’t no Standard Oil men gonna run this state
Gonna be run by little folks like me and you

Here’s the Kingfish, the Kingfish
Friend of the working man
The Kingfish, the Kingfish
The Kingfish gonna save this land

– Randy Newman

Agree with others Exapno that your points are all well made. I do invite you and others to expand upon the part highlighted above, specifically what, if anything, should the rest of us, especially those of us who identify as Democrats, do about it?

They do indeed make themselves hard to help.

Should we deal with their ugliness (and their pain) by completing their marginalization and isolation from society as a greater whole? It is tempting.

Do we keep trying to find ways to offer them a hand to pull themselves up by, even as they try to pull the rest of us down?

For now MHO is the latter and I think serious efforts should be made, but there are limits.

Well, he ain’t gonna take on the Exxon men and whip their ass, that’s for sure.