Animal/word 'droppings'.

Re: Does every type of animal dropping have its own name? - The Straight Dope.

I have a number of ‘crossword puzzle dictionaries’ that I consult at times – they have way more synonyms than does poor Mr. Roget.

While some of the items, below, repeat what was given in the column, there are a few additional terms to consider.

[Caveat: I tried not to include duplicates in the entries, from the various sources, but I did NOT thoroughly check everything. Also, I let some duplicates ‘pass’, if they were entered under different ‘headings’.]

Synonyms for ‘dung’, et cetera.

From the Master Crossword Puzzle Dictionary, under “dung”:
argal, argol, billet, buttons, cack, casson, droppings, excrement, exhausted, fiants, filth, fumet, gore, lesses, manure, merd, muck, ordure, poppycock, scarn, scummer, sharn, soil, stallage, tath, treddle, trotters, upla.
“Dung befouled”: sharny.
“Bird dung”: hoopoe, jaeger.
“Dung eating”: scatophagous.
“Pertaining to dung”: stercoraceous.

Same source, under “excrement”:
appendage, cast, crottels, dejecta, dejection, discharge, dreck, dregs, egesta, ejectamenta, ejection, extravasate, extravasation, exudate, exudation, frass, growth, increase, lees, outgrowth, refuse, transudate, transudation, waste (matter).

“Excreta”: secreta.

“Manure”: compost, cultifation, dressing, droppings, dung, fertilizer, folding, fulzie, gooding, laetation, mig, muck, poudret, saur, sleech, stercorate, tath, tillage, worthing. “Manure pile”: dunghill, hott, mixen.
[From my laptop’s dictionary/thesaurus, “Oxford American Dictionaries”, under “dung”: feces, scat, cowpats, cow pies, cow patties, cow flops, cow chips, horse apples, turds. Under “feces”: bodily waste, waste matter, stools, mess, night soil, poop, pooh, doo-doo, poo, caca, excreta.

Under “manure”: guano; cow chips; road apples; buffalo chips.

Under “turd”: stool; fecal matter.
NYT Crossword Puzzle Dictionary:

“Dung”: mis; chip; doll; fime; mute; scumber; dropping; cowshard.
“Dung as fuel”: argol; cason; cassons.
“Dung of beast of prey”: lesses.
“Dung of deer”: fumet; fewmet;
“Cow dung”: upla; cowshard; cowsharn.
“Otter’s dung”: spraints.
“Sheep dung”: buttons; treddle; trotters.
“Dunghill”: mixen; midden; mixhill.

“Excrement”: lee; crap; dirt; dreg; dung; frass; jakes; hockey; ordure; refuse, voiding; crottels.
“Excrement of earthworm”: cast.
“Excrement of hares”: crottels.
“Excrement of insects”: frass.

“Feces”: drast; hockey; ordure.

“Manure”: hot; lime; muck; soil; season.

Andrew Swanfeldt’s Crossword Puzzle Dictionary. Under “manure”: addle; composture.

Yeah - well I still like "“Barker’s eggs” for doggy do

“Barker’s eggs” – that’s very good. I, and some people I know, also refer to that stuff as “land mines”.

I checked the online Urban Dictionary for “dung” (and related terms), and this is what they have listed thus far: shit; poop; crap; feces; turd; dump; excrement; scat; dookie; ass; diarrhea; defecate; toilet; caca; fart; shite; fecal matter; poopy; anus; stool; log; doodoo; defecation; turds; dingleberry; dirty; deuce; shart; fecal; faeces; terd; manure; asshole; pile; waste; bullshit; anal; gross; shat; smelly; dick; bathroom; poopie; gas; mud; pee; loaf; doo doo; butt.

I didn’t look up the U.D.'s various definitions of “dingleberry”, but I’ve always thought of that as the fecal matter that clings to the fur (of an animal, such as a pooch).

Yes, that was my idea of dingleberry. Also, klingon.

What’s brown and sounds like a bell? Dung! :slight_smile:

Good Juan!

Cow pies! Meadow muffins! Road apples! Dingleberries!

Our predeccessors had a good sense of humor about what happens in the alimentary canal.

Maybe the expansive language was due in part to the same dynamic that has the Inuit coming up with so many names for different types of snow – it was more important to them (for some reason).

Or, maybe, they had less to otherwise think about than we do (with all of our electronic distractions).

“Meadow muffins” is good. Thanks – I’ll add it to my personal list.

Where I live, there are quite a few dairy farms, and some people refer to the aroma emanating from same as “eau de moo”.

Hunting (in the US sense of the word).

“Dog Mines”