Anne Heche goes nuts, gets roasted

1.) It is well known that alcohol comes with inherent risks

2.) Alcohol is “a normal social activity” for some groups in some places, but not all groups in all places. I grew up in the Southern Baptist South. Drinking alcohol was concidered a major sin. The religion wore off for me, but not the contempt for drinking.

It is well known that cheeseburgers come with inherent risks. I assume under your model of maximal personal responsibility, you are content to be denied all medical treatment consequent to poor dietary choices and lack of adequate exercise?

That’s a straw-man argument. Never once did I say that drug addicts should not get medical treatment. I said only that I have no sympathy for them.

The Los Angeles Fox affiliate is saying it.

Witnesses say a neighbor ran to the home and got the homeowner and her pets out of the house safely. He tried to get Heche out of the vehicle but couldn’t due to heavy smoke.

(I looked for a non-Fox source, but they all seem to be quoting Fox.)

You have repeatedly asserted that an addict could just stop doing it if they chose to, which is obviously tantamount to a denial that addiction is a bona fide medical condition.

I also drove past a firey car(?) crash today. I only saw a smoking wreck and the fire truck and then steam since the barrier was too high on the freeway, and I have no idea why it got that way. .

Between this and that fiery car crash that killed 6 also in Los Angeles they really feels like the beginning of one of those movies where suddenly everybody starts getting a disease that causes them to drive their cars as fast as possible until they crash.

Ridiculously so. There’s video on reddit of her car screaming down the street, followed by a crash. I might describe it as suicidal.

I don’t know if we can link reddit videos here like with youtube. Let’s find out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Whatcouldgowrong/comments/whdpev/anne_heche_speeding_through_a_neighborhood_and/

This video includes the audio of her tires screeching. It’s quite alarming.

I get very frustrated and angry at people in the higher strata of wealth and privilege doing stupid things.
But then I try and take a wider view. Even if you come up through the ranks, your present place of wealth and or fame can really warp you. All the people around you become sycophantic. The everyday chores are done for you. Finances, planning, others do it. You become ever more separated from reality. Others stroke your ego.
Then you deal with a bunch of people in that same realm. The values are warped. Effort and reward is skewed so far out of whack. You are also separated, shielded from a lot of consequence of everyday faux pas, responsibility.
I become more sympathetic. Not a lot. But some. If that person was already prone to mental issues, a lot more sympathetic. That bizzaro world dropped on a fragile mental state is devastating for any kind of stability.
So I have sympathy for Ms Heche in many ways. Hope she gets feet on the ground going forward.

Drunk/on drugs and mentally ill are not mutually exclusive. In fact, it’s not an uncommon pairing.

I have no idea how Heche came to this point, but if she survives (never guaranteed with severe burns) she will have a long, difficult recovery and her acting career may be over because burn scars are not a good look on camera. Even if this was just “stupidity” she’s paid a high price already and I feel no urge to add to that, or to mock.

Yeah, the sound track on that is actually more informative than the pictures. You can hear the car squealing and her final crash at the end of it.

Seconded. As for my self, I try to have sympathy for everyone. Often I fail.

Thirded.

On the one hand, the tone of the thread title is super disrespectful, in my opinion. Plus I was always kind of a fan of Anne Heche, and my heart goes out to her.

On the other hand, if someone drove by my house that recklessly and then slammed into my neighbor’s house, I would be livid. So it’s hard to generate much sympathy regarding the disrespect.

It’s not a great look for the dope as a whole, though. It makes it seem like we’re all in here laughing at her.

You chose to mock her without knowing the reason for her behavior.

Deny this.

mmm

I’m proud to say I have no idea who she is.

Often, yes, but not always. Oxy is a prime example of a drug that was not properly researched before being foisted on an unsuspecting population (and on the medical community, I might add). It was prescribed for my son for his chronic back pain. He worked in an elder care facility and the constant strain on his back from lifting and moving patients caused excruciating pain. So he took the pills prescribed by his doctor in good faith, and quickly became addicted to them. The drug is insidious: the more you take, the more you need, and stopping cold turkey is extremely difficult, dangerous and painful in its own right.

Well, with help he was finally able to get off the damn stuff. He was in a group home for awhile and after a couple of months was free of the devil. But he had other demons that we didn’t know about (bipolar disorder), and soon he was abusing alcohol, something he had done since his college days. Now, alcohol is something that can usually be more easily kicked than oxy, at least in cases of mild abuse, but when it reaches the level of chronic addiction and a quart-a-day habit, physical changes in the body become very problematic. Liver damage is the big dog in that fight. Withdrawal from severe alcohol addiction is dangerous. Convulsions are common and hospitalization is often necessary.

After several trips to the ER over the years, my son died in the ICU of a local hospital, stuck full of tubes, and, because of his alcohol use, ineligible for a liver transplant. He was 42.

I really don’t think that he could have refused that first drink any more than he could have refused to breathe. His brain was, for whatever reason, wired differently than for most people. “Just say no” is just not an option for some people, despite your facile suggestions to the contrary. I wish that it was.

Moderating:

This topic, especially given the title and the way the op framed it, is not appropriate in IMHO. @Darren_Garrison , if you would like it reopened, i will move it to the pit.

(DM me to let me know.)