Anne Heche goes nuts, gets roasted

She crashes her car into a garage, drives away while people are trying to help her, speeds down the street and plows into a house, where the car, the house, and Anne Heche all catch fire. The house and car didn’t survive. Anne Heche might.

Jeez, that’s awful.

She has a history of strange behavior, possibly mental illness.

This, plus your thread title, makes it seem as though you’re mocking her. Hopefully I’m just reading it wrong.

I didn’t realize Ms. Heche was still alive.

Regardless, with parents like this, I’m not surprised that her personal life has been a trainwreck.

If she was drunk or on drugs, absolutely I was mocking her. I have no sympathy for people who destroy their lives through stupidity. If she is genuinely mentally ill, not so much.

That is not how intent or communication works.

Is that how Substance Use Disorder works ?

I thought it was medical and that there was … y’know … science and stuff around it.

Sorrow for a mentally ill person apparently out of control and possibly trying to commit suicide. Glad she didn’t T-bone and kill a driver in front of the house she hit. She must have been going pretty fast to embed her car inside a house. They were able to get the occupant and pets out of the house.

Bipolar?

Previous user of Ecstasy which is an hallucinogen. I just had a dime size burn on my finger and that was painful enough. Imagine being trapped in a burning car.

This is the Dope, so I expect a huge dose of cleverness with the news here.

I thought “nuts”/“gets roasted” was creative enough that I, for one, couldn’t resist it, even though I have a lot of sympathy for Ms. Heche.

Not that I don’t believe you, but where did you hear/read that? I have yet to see anything online that even says “It’s not yet known if anyone was inside the house,” much less what you said.

You know how I avoid “substance use disorder”? I never use “substances”. Drug abusers choose to put drugs in their bodies. Lay down with dogs, wake up with fleas.

That’s very sensible of you. And I’m sure you avoid anorexia by eating, and depression by just remembering that things aren’t so bad. It’s astonishing that other people don’t implement these obvious solutions.

Wow! There was a high-speed chase that ended just like this in my neck of the woods today.

Gotta love a firey car crash…

People need food to live, and people can’t choose their brain chemistry. But you do not need alcohol, and you do not need any other recreational drugs. It is not the same thing. I have never once in my life used any of them. (So I’m perfectly qualified to cast stones.)

Do I hear Nancy Reagan?

Don’t you think it’s a little odd that you have so confidently decided that some things are perfectly under someone’s volitional control and no more difficult than deciding what TV channel to watch, whereas other things are attributable to

I mean, a suicidal person does not need to take sleeping pills or shoot themselves in the head any more than an alcoholic needs to take a drink. Why don’t they just not do it?

Unless someone physically forces drugs into your mouth or veins (or hides it in your food or drink) taking that first hit is absolutely “under your volitional control”. I’ve never once heard of a drug that shoots out mind beams and drags you, kicking and screaming, to use it that first time against your will.

You will never become a drug addict if you never use drugs the first time.

So your deeply compassionate model of treatment for drug addiction is to simply write all addicts off and refuse to countenance the possibility that they might need or deserve help, because they are fully accountable for the first time they took drugs.

How do justify taking the same attitude toward alcoholics, when drinking alcohol is a normal social activity, and addicts don’t know that this lies in their future when they take their first drink?