Annie Proulx: Sore Loser, Stupid Bitch

Annie Proulx, writer of the original short story “Brokeback Mountain,” has decided she’s not very happy with it not winning the Best Picture Oscar:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/15/film.proulx.ap/index.html

According to Proulx, everyone was stupid and evil not to give the Oscar to the movie based on her short story. She goes on to say:

Dear Stupid Bitch:

If you don’t like the Oscars, why are you so fucking upset your movie didn’t win one particular Oscar?

Here’s a newsflash, you dumbass; NOBODY DESERVES AS OSCAR. It’s a fucking gift, you shitwitted fuckstacker. Even if you think one movie is better than another, it’s still not fucking entited to any awards. Christ, you’re stupid. If it’s so fucking important to you then rejoice in the fact “Brokeback Mountain” won three Oscars. If it’s not, then shut the big hole in the middle of your face, because the noise coming out of it is bothersome.

Get bent.

Regards,

Rick

I can dig it. Snappy and I could iron to it.

I’m not in the habit of commenting on the quality of a rant but I think “fuckwitted shitstacker” would have been much more sonorous and not without a certain visual appeal. Some things should just be left un-transposed.

However, “Get bent” is always satisfyingly succinct.

Annie Proulx is a god-awful writer, as you can see:

“Yeasty ferment that is America?” What the fuck is that? Never mind, I don’t want to know.

Well, she’s completely right about the Oscars, of course, but her words would sting more if it came from someone with no pony on the track. Still, I can’t get worked up about it.

That’s her writing style. String a bunch of random words together and let the pseudo-intellectuals think she’s poetic.

• a guy who read The Shipping News

Maybe she brews beer on the side???

Actually, “yeasty ferment” is a pretty well-established cliche, especially in literature, for anything particularly creative.

This is due to the observable fact that writerly folks are boozy bastards. From Omar Khayyam to James Joyce, onwards through Malcolm Lowry and Bukowski, scribblers agree, there’s a clear analogy between intoxicating spirits and creative inspirition. I mean, hell, why do you think they call it culture?

Gutenberg’s letterpress was made by setting movable type into pre-existing machinery designed to press grapes, for God’s sake.

That being said, it’s a poor analogy. Any hack can get the pot boiling with someone else’s yeast. True creative genius is a zymogen, obviously.

Reminds me of the movie Way of the Gun:

Bar Patron: Hey, hey. Yeah you, get up. What are you retarded? Get off the fucking car!
Raving Bitch: Hey dickless, get off the fucking car! Hey fucksuck, get your slippery fucking ass of the car! Listen to me, get off the fucking car with your fucking ass!
Parker: Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head!
Raving Bitch: You’re gonna wish you never fucking got up this fucking morning, asshole, because my boyfriend’s gonna fuck you up! And then, after that, when he’s fucking your gay uncle over there, I’m gonna fucking cut off your cock and mail it to your mother, you fucking faggot bitch! You Gaylord fucking bitch! How do you like that? You like that a lot, you fucking faggot? You like to ass fuck? Fontanella fucking babyheads!
Bar Patron: Go ahead.
Raving Bitch: You like to fuck babyheads? You like to fuck boys? He’s gonna fuck you in the ass…how do you like that? He’s not even gay, but he’ll do it just to fuck…
Bar Patron: Honey, honey. She’s got a big mouth, but she’s not kidding. I’m gonna whip you silly and then I’m gonna fuck you stupid. You wanna do the man-dance? First dance is yours.

It’s not some type of infection is it? I’d hate to have that happen south of the border.

Hodge (squicked out Canadian)

Yeasty ferment is covered under the new Medicaid act.

Be afraid.

By the way, if you want to see someone really eviscerate overrated “literary” writers, check this out. Sometimes I think Myers is a little unfair–one can go through any writer’s work and pick out unfortunate passages–but I have to say when I read this essay I was practically standing on my feet and yelling “Preach it, brother! Preach it!”

Page 8 of the current issue of Newsweek.

You’d look bitter? Nah. Spend thousands on ads that are targeted at people that are likely thinking the same thing and you’re really getting a debate fired up. That’ll learn 'em.

And if the other awards are so overwhelming in proving the movie was the best of the year, why run ads? You’re concerned that with all that hardware, the Oscars will somehow degrade the film? Some of the greatest films have never earned a statue.

What was the box-office take on this movie? Sure, the gross doesn’t always equate to a movie’s worthiness, but a great film that resonates with people will always be huge.

It’s an intriguing and thought-provoking film (yes, I’ve seen it), but if it doesn’t really resonate with many, it’s not going to be memorable. Well, it will be memorable, obviously, but not because of the story. The Oscars aren’t usually awarded based on perceived shock value or lobbying by activists.

Right. Hollywood is homophobic. I’m sure George Clooney forgot to mention that when he lavishly praised Holywood for all the social wrongs they’ve changed, and how infallible they are in everything they believe.

The message was sent awhile ago. For months commentators, bloggers, editors and activists were complaining that Brokeback wouldn’t win because of the gay theme. Few are unaware of what it’s about.

Again. What was the take on it in sales? Most know what it’s about. Who went to see it in droves? Most that didn’t, I assume, were those not interested in seeing a gay cowboy love story. Doesn’t make them gay-hating homophibic douchebags.

I’ve never seen Spiderman, The Hulk, The Tick, or Fantastic Four. I don’t hate or have any aversion towards comic book superheroes, comic book readers, comic book writers nor comics in general.

Come to think of it, none of those films won Best Picture. I think we need to include comics fans as overly oppressed, hated minorities. I’m sure there’s a shitload that were apoplectic about those movies not winning awards. Hell, there’s plenty of movies and socially-acceptable speech that stereotypes comic book readers in a nasty way. I think we should be more attune to their feelings as well.
And I know there are a few shitbags that want to declare me to all a homophobe. They’re wrong, but will be along shortly I’m sure. To you douchebags, you’re wrong. But that won’t change what you think in your twisted little minds.

Hmm. An analogy to a petrie dish. A culture allows organisms to grow. “Culture” allows different ideas to foment and grow creating, in some cases, new life. (Or ideas as it were.)

I don’t know what the etymology of the word is, but this would be a pretty good one to hijack into this meaning. It applies to every culture in this sense by default.

Is this the meaning behind the word? If not, let’s make it so!

ALL of The Shipping News?

You’re a better man than I.

This makes Ang Lee’s obviously-disappointed reaction look like a model of dignity and restraint.

Heh. Really, all it means is that I’m a reckless and abandoned one, who stoops to perpetrate a pun. :wink:

I think Annie Proulx is a pretty damned fine writer, from what little I’ve read. (I honestly don’t know why The Shipping News is getting beat up on, here; I thought it was an excellent novel.)

That said, you can be a great writer and still be an insufferable bore – and so many are.

Wish I could, but it’s subscribers only. :frowning: Might have to find it on the newsstands, I guess.

Crap. I was afraid of that. It’s now in book form, if that helps. Sorry, guys.

I LOVE that movie, and especially that scene. “Raving Bitch” was played by the lovely and talented Sarah Silverman.

Oh and, Annie Proulx is one of like 2 currently writing authors whose stuff I even bother to leaf through, and Shipping News deserved its Pulitzer, but “Brokeback Mountain” was way better.

Still, she put her foot in it this time. She should write instead of talk.