Annoying Superior

A new person has started working as my direct superior. It cannot go on for various reasons.

What’s the best way to get rid of a troublesome work colleague?

Depends what the “trouble” is.
Abusive?
Demanding?
Lazy?
Ambitious?
Stupid?

If it has anything to do with violating your rights, company policy, etc., document these incidents to build a case.

If they are just an asshole you don’t want to deal with, but they aren’t committing “violations”, call a slew of headhunters and give them his/her name. Tell them he/she is looking for a job. Promote his/her capabilities whenever possible to people who might want to hire them or have them transferred to their department.

Nice strategy.

There aren’t really any ‘violations’ being committed. This person is just really in my face all the time, demanding to know what I’ve done and setting deadlines - which is completely unnecessary. I did my job perfectly well before this person came along without this kind of supervision. So, this bugs me. Also, there is a personality clash going on.

Basically, I’m looking for underhanded ploys that either work quickly or take months of planning. I think I can abide this person if I have a little plan hatching.

Change jobs.

I’ve suffered this in the past, and my solution was to hatch a plan to change jobs.

Thankfully as a result I’ve found a better company to work for. If I had really loved the company, the atmosphere and the benefits, it would have been a lot harder to make a move.

So if you really LOVE your company, then you’ve got a problem. If you think you could find something just as good somewhere else, you could consider changing jobs.

Sucks that it comes down to that, but sometimes it’s the only way to get away from someone who’s driving you nuts.

You know, it’s just possible that your new, “in your face” supervisor is trying to get rid of you.

And when that happens, as a practical matter it’s usually the supervisor that has the upper hand.

To you, it seems unnecessary but to a manager, it's their job. Managers need to justify their headcount and if budgets and staffing cuts ever need to be made, they need to know what positions are critical and can't be cut. If your manager does not know what your job is, he's not likely to consider you a critical asset. 
Grow up and learn to deal with him as an adult. Have a talk with him, suggest that you send in weekly status reports rather than him coming by your desk all the time and interrupting your work flow. Treat this as an opportunity to demonstrate why your are useful and why the company should want to keep you around. If you can't do that, the correct strategy is to change jobs. 	
Underhandedness will get back to you and it doesn't speak well of you as a person or an employee.

Well… Thanks for the serious answers. This was supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek. Cheers though.