Annual Income UK 18th Century

My recollection is that a 3% return on invested money was considered normal for those days, which would give her 150 pounds a year – enough to maintain her, somewhat precariously, at the lower bound of the middle class. She wouldn’t have starved, but she wouldn’t have been considered affluent, either.

In Anthony Trollope novels (mid 1800’s) that mention both principal amounts and income, 4% or 5% seem to be the expected rates of return. (No cites, as I don’t feel like going through my 40-book collection looking for examples.)

There was, apparently, an investment vehicle known as The Funds, which paid 3 or 5 per cent per annum on the principal.

From The Funds in Victorian Literature:

Three or five percent as opposed to three to five percent is an interesting use of language. Here’s an extract which highlights a three percent fund:

And here’s another which extols the virtues of a five percent fund:

The above observations discuss the same time period as far as I can make out. If anyone can tell me the difference between a three percent fund and a five percent fund I’d be grateful, as long as the answer isn’t two percent.

So £25 per annum was only about ten percent as good as a very narrow income.

Hard times indeed.