Anonymous vs. Church of Scientology: Internet 'War'

I’m currently reading that. Her uncle is batshit-possibly worse than Cruise.

Everyone who hates the Scientology and/or Tom Cruise should read it. Along with A Piece of Blue Sky.

I would have been hammering on that horn until they were no longer in sight. (Although to be fair, Xenu isn’t their god-I think he’s like their version of Satan?)

I probably sound like a broken record, but I’m fascinated by how this keeps evolving. Along the lines of exhortations like the one included in this (really thoughtful) anonymous advice for Anonymous , there’s now a focus on attacking the Church of Scientology, but emphasizing that the majority of Scientologists are victims that must be helped. On one of the main Anonymous planning boards, there’s even a thread about making and giving out Valentines to Scientologists , which was suggested in the above advice.

Along those lines, here’s a rare rational conversation with a young Scientologist (EUCJ) that paints a picture far less extreme for low-level members than what we’re usually told (the conversation starts on page 6 and goes til the end of the thread).

Check out the new message released by Anonymous!

Apparently the UK gathering on the 10th was successful:

That’s fuckin’ hilarious. :smiley:

For certain highly limited values of “successful”. As in: some people had some fun [but achieved jack].

The scientologists reacted in exactly the right way to ensure that this trivial wankfest was a damp squib: by not reacting much at all.

For what it’s worth, I don’t remember hearing anything about the ‘successful’ protest on BBC News.

I’ve long since despised SA since I ran into the Goons in one of the online games I (used to) play. With any luck they will wipe each other out, though I doubt it. I’m sure it’s doing their ego some good though.

What’s SA have to do with any of this?

SA goonies are often the binding forces organizing the demonstrations.

Too true. You can’t trust people that spend the holidays ringing bells.

The protests in LA and Sydney were both pretty impressive as well (Sydney more so).

Mark Bunker made it to the LA gathering, and now I wish I’d gone. Oh well.

Indeed. I’d meant it in the sense that people actually showed up.

But, I do think that in the end, anytime you can get Scientology on the news by a protester group, people are going to get at a least a minimal dose of knowledge that some people think the group is a cult and is known for commiting crimes.

Best would be if you could get a movie made about some of the more nefarious acts of the church, but given that Hollywood is one of their stronger nests, I don’t know that that would be possible with even the most impressive script.

Mark Bunker of XenuTV is trying to get the funding to do exactly that.

Here’s something that’s really creepy: One of the guys on some of those videos is named Bob Minton. In Florida he walks around in shorts and looks like a regular guy, but it turns out he’s a wealthy banker. He had been funding the Lisa McPherson lawsuit. The Scientologists turned him. Word is that they had uncovered some sort of financial crime or something, and they blackmailed him with it. He recanted testimony that he had given and gave up all his protests against them.

FWIW, that behavior is discouraged by the administration and mods at SA, and the people who do it are reviled by the majority of goons. Don’t paint us all with a broad brush. :slight_smile:

Oh, and here is SA’s front page update about the protests. Funny stuff.