Anorher "sad story, funny name"

Back in the dim, dark days of my youth, I worked for the driver’s license division of the Department of Public Safety. Pre-computer; that’s how long ago.

During a file search one day, I encountered an individual with the first and middle names of Precious Blue-eyes. I also found someone with the first name of T9C, and I learned later that there were several of them and they caused problems during the initial entry phase when DPS did computerize.

We had a politician around Illinois parts a while back named Dick Phalin.

Never could figure out why he didn’t go by Richard Phalin. I suppose he’s still be Dick Failin’ to everyone anyway.

I’ve seen that name around too. I think there’s a family that goes to my parents’ church with that name.

I just remembered that in middle school there was a teacher with the last name Butt. It was pronounced closer to “boot”. We students had a lot of laughs over it.

And of course, there is the future President of the United States, Mike Hunt.

Whenever I drive through Natchez, Mississippi, I am pleased to see billboards advertised the services of Lucius Butts, Jr., insurance agent.

The Seattle Mariners have a pitcher named J.J. Putz. He pronounces it “puts”. Anyone with a smattering of Yiddish finds his name hilarious. He is very particular that both the team’s broadcasters and the stadium announcers pronounce it the way he prefers. They didn’t, at first. Sadly, most people in Seattle are strangers to Yiddish and miss the joke. ;j

My dad once met a real estate agent whose business card he kept on the fridge for years and years. The agent’s name, as printed on the card: Rose E. Kuntz.

Don’t you mean:

"Sadly, most people in Seattle are strangers to Yiddish and miss the joke :wally " :slight_smile:

A man named Safety First once was a contestant on the old “You Bet Your Life”.

In high school I dated a guy whose last name was Uren. He pronounced it you-WREN.

We have a friend that just finished his teaching certificate and plans to teach junior high. His last name is Cox, so he was thinking about changing it to avoid the obvious temptation. I suggested changing it to Dix.

I heard a story on my local public radio station out of Miami the other night- it was a report about a terrible drunk driving death. The reporters name?

“I’m Tom Collins” I nearly spewed my coffee laughing.

I’ve heard it pronounced Fyoosh, as well.

Hopefully, hopefully, the poor late lamented Gay married into that and we don’t have to wish vile thoughts towards her parents. Hopefully.

Imagine how much the former “Miss Gay Kuntz” must have loved Harry Weiner to take his name.

:stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

It appears that he was motivated partly by a history of taunts regarding his last name.

There used to a doctor here in Tulsa with that name. I worked with his daughter a few years ago. I wonder if it’s the same guy.

I know this is a bit of a hijack, but in the musical Rent, there’s a character named Tom Collins and I never could figure out if he was named after the drink or if it was just a coincidence. I mean, it’s possible that Jonathan Larson had never heard of the drink, and no one in the play ever says anything about the name that would indicate it was a reference to the drink, so…

“Sexauer? Hell, we’re lucky if we get a coffee break!”

It’s usually spelled U’Ren, just so people don’t get ideas.

Wikipedia entry on William U’Ren, noted Oregon progressive politician.

That reminds me of a local real estate agent I saw advertising on bus benches in town - Anita Dyck.

My dad swears that he met a guy who named his daughters Tequilla and Tanqueray. Maybe he got the name from the cause of their conception, like that old “Two-Dogs-Screwing” joke.