Another arcane historical post--Paleochristian church buildings

In Rome there are a number of churches that were founded
almost within the year after Constantine decided to allow
and support the christian faith. Some of these are still
in pretty much the original buildings.

Now what I want to know is, are there any churches anywhere
that have been continuously in the same building since
BEFORE the religion was legalized by Constantine? Granted there was a major persecution campaign by the emperor who
preceded the Big C., but still might anything from before
then have survived?

It is traditionally held that Glastonbury Abbey is the oldest Christian church structure in the world, said to have been founded around 60 AD by Joseph of Aramethea. Whether the legend’s true or not, it is likely one of the oldest, if not actually the oldest.

I think it’s mostly ruins now, but services might be held there on holy days.

panama jack

The earliest services were held in private homes, ie house-churches (domus ecclesiae). A group of Christians who lived in adjoining apartments could knock down a couple of walls to hold congregation, but it had to be inconspicuous from the outside. An extant house-church was uncovered in a Roman garrison town in presnt-day Syria, Dura Europus (across the street from a decorated synagogue and a church of Mithris, btw; it looks like they were pretty liberal out in the sticks)-- probably before 256 (date of Persian invasions). The Christians’ spots were pretty simple-- converted villas, etc.
BTW, St. Peter’s shrine (which has obviously been later built upon greatly) was first fancied up very early on, according to excavations which show a two-story shrine from the late 2nd c.

I visited the Church of St Peter in Antioch, the facade of which dates to the 11th century and the mosaic floors date the the 4th century. However, the site is traditionally believed to have been the home of St Luke.