[QUOTE=Spiny Norman]
- you have the resources to attempt a rescue. And if you have the resources, you’re obligated to try.
Haven’t read Krakauer, but I’ve read plenty of other mountaineering/expedition literature. And I still can’t get behind the philosophy of leaving someone behind to continue up. If you have the resources to carry through with your summit attempt (at least one from her party did make the summit), you have an obligation to exhaust those resources on trying to save your team member. This is not a military mission where the fate of nations hang in the outcome. This is a freakin’ sport.
Leaving someone behind in bad weather when resources are low, you’re scrambling for safety and the team’s safety has to take priority is understandable. If anything, I pity whoever has to make a decision like that. However, that is demonstrably not what had happened here. These f*ckers had enough energy/resources/equipment to make the summit, but not to even attempt a rescue? Bugger that.
The rescuers, OTOH, were coming down from the peak - having expended more energy, more oxygen, more of their resources and more of their available time at high altitudes - and they still had the wherewithall and basic decency to at least give it a try. We’re spared the speculation as to rescue was feasible, because the woman was, in fact, rescued.
This was not a decision between team survival and a rescue attempt - that’s a hard decision. This was a decision between a rescue attempt and a summit attempt, and that shouldn’t be hard at all.
[/QUOTE]
Well said. I’m quite surprised and disappointed that you were the only one to say it. They chose summitting as more important than saving someone’s life. I hope there is a book about this and these people have to deal with more and more people knowing what types of human beings they are.