Another Critical Race Theory thread

A lot of it came from Carlson and Marjorie Taylor Greene.

And to be precise about the imaginary space laser, Marjorie Taylor Greene did not say that Jews controlled the space laser that started fires in California, but it was not much better, she blamed the Rothschild family… who are Jews, and bigots do like to put that family in many crazy anti-Semitic conspiracies.

Let’s be clear. Taylor Greene provided no real evidence of a space laser causing the wildfires. She provided no real evidence of the Rothschild family or anyone else building such a laser. There’s about as much evidence behind these conspiracy theories as there is evidence that a giant teddy bear is floating in the sky and throwing down hot dogs.

Such conspiracy theories not only make life more difficult for the races and ethnicities that are being targeted and blamed, they also make it more difficult for all of society. By distracting from and delaying real solutions to real public health problems, such blaming allows the public health problems to just get worse and worse. It would be like blaming your overflowing toilet on men who wear fanny packs. The toilet water and whatever is blocking it doesn’t care and will simply continue to push out water all over the floor.

Just take a look at what happened after Trump continued to call the Covid-19 coronavirus the “China virus” or the “kung-flu.” Did that stop the virus? How many lives could have been saved if he instead had focused on controlling the spread of the virus? Similarly, searching the sky for a giant “Jewish space laser” would be a waste of time, because Taylor Greene provided no real evidence that there is such a laser. It would be like investing time to look for a huge Kardashian Space Station.

Conspiracy theories about Jews are perennially popular. The ones about the Rothschilds go all the way back to the Napoleonic wars.

But why Jews? One of the reasons has got to be that Jewish people are unusually successful, and ideas similar to those behind equity suggest that there must be some external reason for it. Rather than think that a successful group must be doing something right and should be emulated, they see the disparity as evidence of a conspiracy.

This is why I think some of these ideas are actually dangerous. When the majority is more successful, it’s a reasonable suspicion that some kind of prejudice or institutional bias could be responsible, and definitely worth investigating. But if you categorically state that all groups should achieve the same, what does that say about minorities who are over-represented in a given area?

You have it backwards, the reason why the bigots are trying to ban CRT is in reality because minorities that also succeeded in academia (including Jews, as you keep forgetting here) or are businessmen, are now watching the watchmen. Point here is that you bet that what a number of Jews do needs to be emulated, but the reality is that history plays a part on why there is a significant number of Jews in Academia and businesses.

Of course, anti-Semitism has roots in a lot of other places, from being blamed for the death of Jesus Christ to the issues surrounding Israel – but I feel that economics and our role in the economy definitely plays a part.

And Jews have paid the price. We have been expelled from 109 nations since 250 AD. We’re always being told to have our suitcases packed, just in case – hence the expression, “the wandering Jew.” A third of the world Jewry was wiped out in the Holocaust. To me, this is what’s led to the mentality of resilience I talked about earlier – and makes us want to succeed wherever we are, in a “F*** you – we’re still alive” sort of way. I understand this on a personal level – wanting to fight back at those who bring you down.

The bottom line here is that the relative success of some Jewish people is complex. But it isn’t anti-Semitic to acknowledge the positive and beneficial aspects of Jewish culture that help contribute towards successful lives, if only to fight against economic anti-Semitism and rumors of the existence of a Jewish global elite.

Sharing these myths on social media and in public life is dangerous, and we’ve got to discuss our differences, privileges, and historical legacy to disarm them. It’s not secret plots and genetics that got us where we are – it’s education, community, and history.

I’m glad he said that. It contradicts the equity narrative, and it feels very taboo to talk about the subject, but if everyone stays silent it leaves a gap that is soon filled up with conspiracy theories.

That implies that in reality you still don’t know that your points are not good regarding this and related subjects.

Again, it is clear why you are omitting that Jews that use CRT do talk about the very subject you think is taboo, CRT proponents are the ones trying to get rid of inequality, and the reality is that the ones in power are then trying to keep it outside the places where they are really afraid that minorities are making or will do a difference.

Even Jews are not quiet about the modern attempt at silencing them or other minorities.

It’s taboo to say things like this:

Less than 0.2% of the world is Jewish, yet 22% of Nobel Prize winners are Jews. 41% of Nobel laureates in economics are Jewish, as are 11% of the world’s billionaires, and 20% of the world’s richest 50 people.

Because it is so often followed by some anti-Semitic conspiracy theory. Still, facts are facts whether we speak them or not. How do your CRT scholars explain these facts?

You did not read the rest of the article I cited. Just on the hope that that is the case, and you will realize what is going on, one has to point out that you are falling for the reverse of what the author is trying to point out about how efforts like yours do look for many others. IOW, CRT proponents do not ignore what you claim is taboo, what you ignore is that the reasons are more complex than the simple way your arguments are.

And again, you continue to clearly avoid one of the bigger points. The ones in power are then trying to keep CRT outside academia and business, the places where bigots are really afraid that minorities (including Jews) are making or will do a difference. So it has to be spelled out as the meaning has been grossly missed by you:

What the white governors and Republican government critters are trying to do in banning CRT is likely to be unconstitutional, besides being bigoted and anti-Semitic too.

Are you asking for an analysis of institutional bias in Nobel Prize awards? Billionaire-ism? What are you even demanding of CRT?

“Why are rich people, too often, Jews?” sounds like a Not even wrong leading question, asked in complete bad faith.

Earlier @GIGObuster said “Jews that use CRT do talk about the very subject you think is taboo, CRT proponents are the ones trying to get rid of inequality”. Sounds like he knows something about it, so what are they saying?

I have only seen CRT used to explain how some minorities fall behind. Can it/does it also explain why some are decidedly ahead of the majority? That’s what I am ‘demanding’ of CRT.

Think about how CRT is used. Do you honestly think it’s anything more than a method of manipulation? In the competition for resources battles are waged on many levels. CRT is a tool used on the emotionally manipulative ideological level.

There you go again showing all that you did not check the thread.

Well, if you also want to show to all that you did not check the thread either… As it was shown already critics of CRT are 100% unwilling to deal with the research published and instead just come declaring how it is just “manipulative”. Well it can be since they also do rely on evidence that they point at in those papers.

No doubt that the there is real research on CRT. Just like real research on Bigfoot. That doesn’t mean that it has positive utility. On one hand folks argue that all these social constructs aren’t really real and then on the other hand like to argue that these social constructs define all reality. You don’t need a PhD in this nonsensical field to realize it’s used as a modern form of a cult/religion to frame and more sinisterly silence debate in order to influence policy in the direction of redistribution of resources based on the so-called social construct of race. Just like I’m not going to read 1000s of pages of original research on the farcical labor theory of value to critique that I’m not about to devote a 100 hrs to fight this fight on the ideological battlefield of CRT proponents. Especially since it’s a fight where words have no meaning and concepts are fluid.

Well, yes that post of yours and this one was not useful. You are still not showing any willingness to see if the research that was cited makes no sense. As noted already, one Asian CRT scholar pointed at the evidence of China doing a very bad thing against the Uighurs, that it actually does lead to the opposite of what China is trying to do when attempting to control the Uighur population.

News then to the Uighurs that they are as mythical as Bigfoot for some critics, so that research is no good. /s

The other point also stands, your distracting posts are only made to ignore the current bigoted step by white republican politicians in their attempt to silence minority researchers in the US.

Lol. Critiquing a crackpot field of research is not white Republicans silencing minority researchers. I’m not sure how you reach that conclusion. One, I’m sure there are plenty of so-called white researchers in the CRT field. Two, I never said anything about minority researchers in any field. My criticism is directed at CRT and it is interesting to note that you immediately appeal to a thinly veiled “that’s racist!” attack on the critique. The tactics are predictable and obvious. I would be surprised at their effectiveness if not for the existence of billions of the devoutly religious. The strength in which an idea can take hold in the human brain, unfortunately, is only weakly correlated with fact.

Well then one has to conclude that besides not reading the thread, you have missed the news.

That’s not silencing any researcher now is it? If a school prevents me from teaching 1+1= potato I am not being silenced. I can say that all that I want and I can do my unique vegetable math to my heart’s intent. I can even go to a public university and speak on the subject. I’m not being silenced. I just can’t indoctrinate children with that nonsense on the taxpayer’s dime.

Never said that you did, but I was saying it already, if not reading the whole thread then it is clear that you decided to ignore what was being discussed in the last posts. You are distracting from what it is clear is what is going on. It is also convenient to ignore because it shows how unhinged and Orwellian is for Governors and Republican politicians to call CRT scholars as proponents of racism when it is really the opposite.

That last line gives it away, it is really a point based on what the right wing sources of information are telling you about what CRT is.

As I pointed to the other poster, your argument here would be moot if the guys in the legislative and/or executive power were not the ones being looked at. It also depends on what right-wingers in power will do when executing the law, and as pointed before guys like Joe Arpaio showed what a complicit executor of the law does with a law that it is likely to be found to be unconstitutional, besides being bigoted.

Thanks, I missed that when I caught up on the thread. But it doesn’t change my mind. I would like to better understand what is CRT, what is Whiteness studies, and whatever other theories play into the movement, but I don’t think there’s any chance I’ll learn that here.

I had skipped the article @ZosterSandstorm linked, too. It really sucks to be attacked by both sides, but that is what is happening.