Another Dieting Question-Skip Lunch?

A while back I read about people’s attempts to lose weight-by skipping lunch. Instead, you would sip fruit juice. The idea was that the caloric substitution would cause you to lose weight, and the carbohydrates from the juice would allay your hunger.
Has anyone ever done this? What were the results?

How much juice?

Protein would stave off hunger more effectively. Juice will just spike your blood sugar for a short time. That’s why diet shakes are basically protein shakes.

I don’t understand “caloric substitution would cause you to lose weight”.

Doesn’t sound like a good idea to me - carbohydrates by themselves have NEVER allayed my hunger for long. A healthy soup or protein packed salad seems a better option.

Eating balanced meals that put in fewer calories than you are burning on a daily basis is the better plan. It’s so crazy it just might work. :smiley:

Using a web and smartphone based calorie counter coupled with exercise has allowed me to lose thirty pounds since June. A slow, healthy reduction in weight. My doctor has already taken me off cholesterol meds and I remain on blood pressure meds only as a preventative for migraine headaches unrelated to weight.

It doesn’t sound right to me at all. Juice doesn’t stop hunger in the slightest. It will help if you feel weak from hunger, because it’s full of sugar, but you’d still feel hungry. Another problem is that juice is full of calories because of all the sugar. Though there are lots of healthy vitamins, having too much juice is no good either. Anyway, it would theoretically be better to eat the fruit and drink water, because as juice you miss out on fiber.

I’d think if you had juice instead of lunch you’d feel ok at first and then as your blood sugar plummets you feel shaky and hungry, so you reach for the biscuit tin.

Well, reading the label on a jar of grapefruit juice tells me an 8 ounce glass contains 100 calories…so substituting for a 500 calorie lunch would save some.

That’s not ‘caloric substitution’, that’s ‘ingesting fewer calories’.

It’s also ‘not ingesting enough calories for lunch’ and ‘not eating properly’.

Nobody is going to be on-board with this diet.

Try it, Ralph. Let us know.

I used to do this, drinking a 12 Oz can of V-8 juice for lunch. That’s more filling than fruit juice, I would think, and healthier, with only 70 Calories per can. The sodium is kind of high (600 mg), which doesn’t concern me, but they have a low-sodium version as well if it’s a problem.

I did this for a couple years, but then changed jobs, and never got back into the habit.

V-8 has a lot of fiber per serving, 3g which is 12% of the RDA. Fiber is filling.

Short answer: I doubt it. Juice is not filling. Carbs are not filling. Liquids in general are not filling. What you want are low-calorie, high protein and high volume foods to help feel full and eat fewer calories while trying to lose weight. Salads with egg whites, chick peas and grilled chicken, for example, with balsamic vinegar dressing instead of fat-laden ranch or Caesar dressings. (Low-fat Swiss or Feta cheese make a good addition too.)

BTW your question belies what I would call a fundamentally poor approach. if you’re thinking along the lines of “I’d like to lose 20 lbs., I’ll drink juice for lunch every day until I’ve done it”, then the unspoken flipside of that contract is “…and after I’ve lost the 20 lbs. I’ll go back to eating my usual lunches, because who just drinks juice for lunch?” And guess what, eating your usual lunch and living your usual life will get you right back to your usual body in the same time if not quicker than it took you to lose the weight. Maybe worse, if you’ve managed to damage your metabolism in losing those 20 lbs. (i.e., if you lost as much or more lean muscle as fat due to starving yourself). It happens all the time.

The right question to ask if you’re interested in losing weight and keeping it off is “is this behavior something I can realistically do for the rest of my life”?

Barring relatively rare physiological issues, losing some weight isn’t that hard. It’s losing a lot of weight, and/or keeping it off, that’s hard. The successful long-term weight loss strategies you read about (and should try to emulate) focus on changing how and what you eat, and how often and what you do for physical activity. The weight then comes off on its own. Slowly. But for a much longer time.

This needs to be tattooed onto the brain of everyone attempting to lose weight.

Not if you eat an extra 600 calories for dinner/snack/breakfast because you are hungry. This is surprisingly easy to do if you aren’t watching/recording everything. It’s the basic problem with all these “one simple change” plans: after a while, you make another simple change to counteract the first, and you don’t even notice.

Lunch fasting makes sense under very limited circumstances.

1. You eat a protein-heavy breakfast with minimal carbs. For example, a large wedge of crustless quiche, or an omelet with lots of meat and veggies. If you eat too many carbs, the resulting sugar spike and crash will make it much harder to pull off a fast.

2. DO NOT drink the juice. Others have explained why. Drink water or black coffee.

3. Track your calories. As has been mentioned, hunger at dinner may cause you to overeat if you’re not careful. Only tracking will keep you honest.

Intermittent fasting has been shown to increase fat-burning if done properly. Google that term and do your research.