Another Football Stats Question

Late in the game, and with the offensive team way ahead, the QB will usually “take a knee” for a down or two or three.

Is the ball marked where his knee touched the ground for a yard loss? If so, is the loss charged against the QB’s running stats?

Yes and yes.

Technically, the ball is marked where the ball is when the QB’s knee touches the ground, but that is likely pretty much the same spot.

Thank you.

Yes and no, actually. The ball is marked at the spot where it was downed, but the QB is NOT charged with the loss of yardage. Quoting from the 2006 Official NCAA Football Statistician’s Manual, page 9: “In the fair application of statistical rules, there are certain situations during which individual losses should be absorbed by team statistics. In a clarification of previous policies, a team rush should be charged when a quarterback kneels down in order to run out the clock. Also, a team pass attempt should be charged when a quarterback throws a pass into the ground in order to stop the clock. In neither instance should the individual player be charged with the play.”

The truth emerges. Thanks, tsm.

Does the NFL use these rules, though? I recall seeing a Vikings game a while back where the announcers bemoaned the fact that Daunte Culpepper’s kneeldowns would be deducted from his rushing total.

The NFL has their own guidelines and the rule may be different in NFL. I don’t have (and can’t find online) an NFL statisticians manual.

Since today is Saturday, I assumed that the OP was talking about college football.

Only eight posts and already you’re fighting ignorance with laser-focused insight. Nice work!

I don’t have a statistics manual either, but working from an NFL game I just watched, I was able to piece together an answer to the NFL question. It looks like the answer is yes, the QB is charged with the loss. Note the Bengals’ QB, Carson Palmer, who ran out the clock against the Ravens the other night ( :mad: ). I know that he took a knee once, and it looks like perhaps he did it twice (or was stopped in an honest rush attempt).

Thanks, Jurph. I’ve been a lurker for a loooonnnng time, and I’ve used most of those eight posts to answer questions I’m pretty sure about. That’s college football, college basketball and NBA statkeeping.

You’re probably right about NFL, and that’s probably what AZCowboy meant in post #2. I just wanted to clarify about what I knew regarding NCAA.

The OP was concerned with pro football. Sorry I wasn’t specific.

The rule in the NFL is that the kneel-downs do count against the QB’s stats.
A few years ago, I was playing fantasy football, and near the end of a particular game, my QB had exactly 20 rushing yards, which was good for two fantasy points. But the last three plays of the game were kneel-downs, bringing my QB’s rushing down to 17, losing me the points.