Another idiot computer question (passwords)

Welp, too late.

The Linux disk failed. I decided that the work I needed to do at home didn’t warrant having a thousand dollar paperweight on my desk, so I bit the bullet and installed Windows 98 on the 60GB drive. Apparently there’s still some corrupted data on my original 15GB drive that prevents me from installing Win98 on it as well, therefore it’s still got the password that won’t let me in, so I no longer have a backup drive (for the moment).

Gone: all my programs except for what came bundled in my computer purchase, 5 years’ worth of personal fictional writings, all sorts of digital information and .jpgs gathered from the internet, hundreds of teacher-made assessments and two years’ worth of archived newsletters I created for school… at least 150 fonts and a few images of artwork I’d done that I’d only had scanned versions of that I somehow never got around to backing up… I’m not even going to mention the thousands of Mp3s I’d been filesharing since Christmas, 1999 and my fileswapped episodes of SAMURAI JACK.

I’ve backed up, maybe, 40% of all the information I had on disk. All my writings are floating around in at least one hard copy, although many are not the final rewrites. This will take a loooOOoooong time to replace, retype, rescan, reorganize.

My BIOS password is in place, at least, and I won’t be handing THAT out to anyone.

Mom is banned.

I’ve never seen the Linux boot disk suggested by Fatdave fail before. Did it give an error message? I know you have to be very careful with the disable Syskey option when using Windows 2000 though. That page has all the details.

Why can’t you access that lost data? If it is merely because Windows 98 can’t read it, it is probably just because it is on an NTFS drive as Win 98 uses FAT.

Try downloading the “NTFSDos” utility from Sysinternals. Basically, it will create you a boot disk that you stick in the drive, turn on the computer, and it will then load up and give you access to the files on the NTFS drive from DOS. You should be able to copy files over to the Win 98 drive from there.