Another immigrant poll

My mother and her family came from Italy when she was a teenager.

My paternal grandmother and her family came from Ireland when my grandmother was 9.

My paternal grandfather’s family came from Sweden many generations ago

well, how smart are you, huh? what thesis are we covering now…basically, " " (forget) you. my “ppl” came from many different countries. and they all came here legally. for your information I’ll use the catch-phrase “Scotch-Irish” which means pissed off for you asking.

You can have some of mine; I’ve got plenty to share!

No, but the cluster of countries that it makes up are distinct from other parts of Europe culturally. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wasn’t entirely sure what to do with “left Odessa in the early 1900s” so I picked “Central Europe” as the other half of my ancestry.

My grandfather was born in Canada. However, my great-grandfather was from Kentucky and my great-grandmother was from Scotland. I’ve selected Canada, even though it was only a brief stopover.

Four grandparents:
Mom’s Mom: born in Norway
Mom’s Dad: born in Denmark
Dad’s Dad: born in Sweden
Dad’s Mom: conceived in Italy, born in California

I said Italy and Scandinavia… and the Italian culture was so strong that it dominated my childhood.

I came to the US from Saudi Arabia in 2000.

Ireland, to escape the famine. (However things got a little confusing when I noticed many of my Irish ancestors had German names or Ashkenazi names.)

Most recent was from Ireland. Around 1845. (Escaping the famine, as above)

My father’s parents came from Sicily, and they would be offended by your question, as they always said that they were NOT from Italy. However, that’s what I checked off. My mother’s ancestors mostly came from the British Isles, but that was some generations back.

Part Sicilian, Norwegian, Welsh and Irish - with a wee bit of Native American way, way back.

I chose the UK because my ancestry is pretty one-sided.

On Mother’s side I’m Irish, English, Scot and French. I’m also fifth-generation American, which means I’m eligible for the DAR.

By comparison, on Dad’s side, we’re barely here. :smiley: His father arrived from Germany in the early 1900s. Dad spoke German (with an American accent) before he spoke English, I’m told.