Another immigrant poll

Inspired by twickster’s recent poll.

This poll is for people living in the United States.

What country did you or your most recent immigrant ancestors come to America from?

If you’re an immigrant, put down whatever country you came from. If you were born in the United States, put down whatever country your parents came from. If your parents were born here, whatever country your grandparents came from. And so on.

I allowed multiple answers but I’m interested in the most recent answers. If your father was born in Italy and emigrated from there and your mother was born in America but her great-grandmother was born in Poland, just put Italy. I’m interested in only the most recent immigration. So only pick two countries if both of your parents were born outside of the United States in two different countries (or grandparents or whatever was the most recent immigrants in your family).

I’ll also allow multiple answers for people who came from two countries. Like if your mother was born in India but grew up in Britain and came to the United States from there, you can pick India and United Kingdom. But keep it reasonable - don’t put United Kingdom if she came here from India and changed planes in London.

Obviously, I couldn’t include every possible country among the choices (especially when some of our ancestors came from countries which don’t exist anymore.) So I tried to be reasonable in grouping countries together. My apologies in advance to anyone who is offended because their ancestral homeland wasn’t mentioned by name.

Whoops, I messed up your poll. My most recent would be my Canadian-born Grandma.

Grandma was born in the Netherlands.

My great grandma and pa on the other side of the family came from what’s now Croatia, but they were ethnic germans and left there when it was still part of the Austro-hungarian empire.

Mostly Ireland & UK, and the most recent was like 300 years ago. I don’t know why, but my ancestors didn’t seem to like immigrants. Or hard/smart work, for that matter–after several hundred years of opportunity we’re still lower middle-class.

Harrumph. Lithuania in the 1910s was neither Russia nor the Soviet Union. :mad:

Obviously, I couldn’t include every possible country among the choices (especially when some of our ancestors came from countries which don’t exist anymore.) So I tried to be reasonable in grouping countries together. My apologies in advance to anyone who is offended because their ancestral homeland wasn’t mentioned by name.

And if it makes you feel better, my Quebecois grandparents would probably be shocked to see themselves described as Canadians.

Dad’s parents came from Poland in the late 1920s. Mom’s ancestors mostly came from England in the late 1600s.

I only picked Poland.

Fair enough. Okay, I’ll vote. :wink:

Most recent would be paternal grandparents, who were born in Canada. That family originated in Alsace & Köln, and made it to Canada via the Ukraine.

My mom’s great-grandparents were Scots-Irish. My dad’s great-grandparents were Russian on his mom’s side and Serb/Hungarian (we were always told Serb, but the Ellis Island registry says Hungary) on his dad’s side.

One set of maternal great-grandparents came from Poland around 1915, a paternal set from France (by way of Canada) around 1800. The remaining English and Irish have been in the U.S. since before there was a U.S.
So, I only voted on Poland.

Hungary, actually the “Crown of St. Stephen” that included Hungary and Croatia among other areas, was technically a seperate crown of the Habsburgs ( i.e. as part of Austia-Hungary ) and included heavily Serb-populated areas like Vojvodina ( now part of Serbia ) and Croatia. My father’s side of the family were all Croatian Serbs and some listed “Austria” as their country of origin which is probably even more inaccurate, but close enough for a government functionary on Ellis Island :).

Hahahaha.

I don’t even know. My people have been here a long time.

“Most recent”? Germans in the 1830s.

I’ve really only done my father’s side but from the top of my head the most recent that I know about is around 1800 and they were from Germany.

Ireland :slight_smile:

Scandinavia is not a country, you idiot.

My great-grandfather came over from Ireland. Everyone else that we know of was also British Isles, but longer ago. Most recently, I guess you’d call us semi-Okies.

Both sides of my family have been here for several generations. Mom’s side is British, dad’s is Scot and Scandinavian (though I only put UK on the poll, since I have no idea when/where someone visited the great north and if it was before or after we got to America). There’s some Indian blood in there too, so SOMEONE was gettin’ busy with the natives not too long after landing. Thanks! You just reminded me I want to go on that genealogy website. There’s just GOT to be a pirate or scoundrel somewhere in my bloodline. :smiley: