Another Neti Pot Posting -- What Am I doing Wrong?

Quoted for emphasis. Oxymetazoline is amazing, miraculous stuff, but I’ve never, ever been so miserable as the *weeks *it took me to knock the inadvertent addiction I gave myself.

StGermain, you sniff while you squeeze the bottle. Within 60 seconds, you experience sweet, sweet relief with a little throat burn. And you mark your calender for three days and DON’T let yourself use it longer than that no matter how stuffed up you are and how important it is to not be blowing your nose at work.

Schpritz it up there & snort it down, or dribble it in with your head upturned. If the liquid doesn’t trickle in, it won’t do much. You should be able to sense something penetrating it, if you’re doing it right.

I generally recommend a flat 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt to start, with 1/8 tsp of bicarb in 8 oz of warm water. If that burns or fails to unplug a really swollen nose, I make the 1/2 tsp a bit more ‘heaping’. Not real scientific. Your mix sounds a little tilted towards the bicarb.

Stir well! Not much is more irritating that putting undissolved salt into your nose.

Qadgop - This sounds like good advice in more than one way!

StG

That’s exactly my experience also. I’m actually relieved to read this since I seem to be the only one that seems to have the experience. I only tried the neti pot once. That night, I was so congested that I had trouble sleeping. Since I wasn’t that congested to start with, I decided not to try again at that time. But I still have the stuff, so maybe I’ll try again later.

I now use saline spray that comes in a can. It’s really expensive, but it helps keep my sinuses clear and doesn’t make me feel congested.

I feel the water log thing when I’m already sick, so I don’t use it then, either. Everything is already irritated, and the process is always at least slightly irritating.

Heck, I hate taking decongestants because they tend to dry me out, and that means I can feel the irritation that much more. It feels like I have water permanently stuck up my nose. I’d rather just be a mouth breather for a while, but I know you have to clear the sinuses to clear up the infection.