Another NFL Question: Extra Points

What are the stats on blocked Extra-point attempts?

How about misses?

I mean, given the level of skill achieved by NFL Kickers and linemen, I would assume that, excepting for unusual wind conditions, an Extra-Point attempt is a given.

If so, why does the defense ever try to block it? Why not simply line up in a formation designed to stop the 2-point Conversion all the time, just in case the offense is greedy or needy?

According to NFL.COM’s stats, there have been six missed one-point extra point attempts so far this season. That is out of 866 attempts from my quick calculations. That’s 99.3%
One kicker, David Akers of Philadelphia, is responsible for two of the misses.

I don’t know how many were missed and how many were blocked, but with only six misses, the breakdown isn’t too relevant. I don’t think NFL teams try very hard to block extra points. I don’t think it’s because they are worried about fakes either. I just don’t think the players work on it too much.

It’s also important to note that the field goal percentage is relatively high, although I’m too lazy to calculate it. With the exception of two punters pressed into emergency field goal kicking duty, only one kicker in the NFL was as low as 50% and that was the ill-fated David Husted of Washington. (4 for 8)
Even a kicker who is having a supposedly off year, like Sebastian Janikowski of the Raiders, is at 69%.
The worst guy who is still on the roster is Neil Rackers of Cincinnati who is at 57.9% on field goals (11 of 19), however he’s made all 18 of his extra points.

According to NFL.com there have been nine missed PAT attempts. Two by Akers, and one each by DelGreco, Mare, K. Brown, Richey, Blanchard, E. Murray, and Husted. I added up all the attempts and came up with 928 which is a success rate of .988.

(BobT, were you getting stats that were a couple of weeks old? Wierd.)

Last night in Bills/Colts game, Bills either had a FG or PAT blocked because of a bad snap (? Or am I remembering a blocked punt… oh, well, it doesn’t matter).

How about this: Instead of kneeling with one knee on ground, the holder for a PAT or FG just stands, perhaps squatting a little. When he gets the snap, he goes to one knee and holds as usual. This will take slightly longer to place the ball, but in case of bad snaps, the holder is in much better position to grab the ball.

Perhaps this is no improvement, under the assumption that if the snap is bad, by the time it is placed, the defending team will have broken through the line and blocked the kick?

They must have updated the stats in between the time Gazoo and I checked. Either that or I pulled down the wrong week’s stats.

I think that football coaches are loath to change any part of the snapping and holding techniques. Making any extra point or field goal depends almost entirely on timing and nobody wants to disturb that timing.