Another sick bag please ... (icky)

I have just had 4 days in beautiful Cairns. I was there to attend a dear friend’s 50th birthday. Flew up on Friday (long day of airports and planes) and shopped and partied Saturday night and Sunday. On Monday we were all headed up to the Great Barrier Reef for snorkelling and scuba diving. Sweet. I’ve never been to Queensland before, and was loving every minute of it. We got aboard the boat at about 7.00am yesterday morning, and the sea was like glass all the way to the reef. We snorkelled and had a nice time looking at the fish.
We went back onto the boat where it was anchored and that’s when the trouble started. The wind kicked up and the boat proceeded to go up and down. Very fast. I thought “I feel okay, I’ll have some lunch.” I had my lunch for all of about 10 minutes.

The crew were amazing. They took one look at me, and silently handed me a foil-lined bag discretely and led me to the back of the boat, because aparently looking at the horizon takes your mind of these things. Not so. It just makes you spew whilst looking at the sea. That over with, I decided I needed a kip. I laid down and dozed off feeling much better. Then the boat started back to Cairns. I filled 3 more sick bags. The old saying is true, you can keep throwing up long after you think you’ve finished. There was a 3 and a half metre swell. The crew were still fantastic, ‘look at the horizon’, they said. I couldn’t see the fucking horizon because of the enormous waves crashing over the sides of said boat.

I have never been seasick before, and after turning 40 shades of green, and then being so pale apparently I looked transparent, I never want to again. It’s so awful, I would razor blades than suffer the whole “give it up stomach, there’s nothing left dammit,” and I was sure that the next retch was going to reward me with an organ or my stomach lining or something horrid like that.

When we finally got to dock, I laid down on the jetty for a few minutes until the pins and needles subsided and the shakes passed. The thing is, I’m now back home, miles from Cairns and that wretched boat - but when I close my eyes, I’m still going up and down. Oh horrible pain.

That said, I’d do it again in a heartbeat to see the amazingly beautiful Reef, but only after a belly full of dramamine. :frowning:

Sorry to hear DellieM. I too get seasick, but never had it like that. Normally though I take over driving the boat, and get over it that way. I think driving gets my mind on to something else, and I forget about the up and down and side to side. Then again I’ve never been in seas like you describe.

On to something else, part of the hierarchy is having a fortnights holiday in Cairns, starting Wednesday. I’ve been stiring him about spiders, snakes and crocodiles :stuck_out_tongue: . Told him to check his shoes and bed, and to send a dog into the water before he went in. Unfortunately, he wouldn’t bite :o

I know the feeling. Christmas last year we were in France, and had just got back to Calais for the ferry trip across to the UK. We checked in for the ferry, and were told that sailings were delayed due to weather. Eventually we were boarded, but told that departure would take some time.

We rocked in the dock for an hour, and I was feeling bad.

We moved out into the harbour for another hour, and I moved into the toilet, and stayed for the rest of the trip.

We crossed in force 8 (from force 9) weather, and I got intimately acquainted with the structure of my digestive system. I don’t know if it is my hiatus hernia, but I hate throwing up - it can really hurt my esophagus, diaphragm and stomach. So we get into Dover and my insides ache, my sinuses have acid burn and chunky lumps, and I still had 200 miles to drive in miserable weather. And my wife had broken her arm and could not drive at all.

Not our best trip home.

Si

I took a catamaran ferry last year on a beautiful clear day. The ferry was very fast, with little side-to-side rolling, but it did bounce rather gently, like a large speed boat. I had taken dramamine so I was fine, but lots of people weren’t. It was really quite distressing to see so many people sick as a dog. I wonder what it’s like on a windy, stormy day.

Amazing how a very small disconnect between what your inner ear “feels” and your eyes see can floor you. The reason the crew members try to get you to stare at the horizon is to get your inner ear and eyes synched up again.

A friend got airsick - he’s a private pilot and was going cross country to a new job. He filled the airsickness bag and put it back in its storage place. Then he felt sick again and finally remembered an airsickness bag left long ago in his flight bag, and dug it out and filled it. But with noplace to keep a second full bag, he was left holding it on his lap.

Well, the bag was old and worn from lying around the bottom of the flight bag, and the plastic lining started leaking, and it was an ugly situation, and he’s wondering what he can do with this thing, and he had the idea of shoving it out the little hatch in his left side window. He opens the hatch, lines the bag up for a good toss, and shoots it out the hatch.

Turns out that the old bag was not ready for a 200 mph airspeed change to happen in just one inch of travel. This intense shear disintegrated the bag and spraypainted every square millimeter of the plane’s interior, including him.

After eventually spending several weekends he gave up trying to clean this, and dropped ten grand on an interior repainting and reupholstry. But to this day, years later, he still finds flecks of the stuff in nooks and crannies.

I’ve never been seasick in my life, fortunately, and that includes crossing the Mediterranean when I was a small child when even the passenger liner crew was sick (back in the days of cheap sea travel). Even better was some years ago when I was a chaperone for my son’s 4th grade class on a whalewatching trip. We were in about 8-foot seas and the boat was going up and down rather nicely, and all the kids, who’d run to the snack bar and spent their pocket money on candy, proceeded to line up along the rail puking in many colors while the teachers and chaperones laughed. :smiley: I’ve still got a photo somewhere commemorating the event. :smiley:

But I have gotten airsick – circling over Chicago for two hours through nonstop clouds once, where there was no horizon to look at. I didn’t actually throw up, but man, I sure wished I would and get it over with.

About four years ago, I got to chaperone thirty-five eighth graders on a five day trip to Santa Catalina. We got there by ferry, which took about an hour and a half. I think.

Our school was in the desert. Most of my kids were from Oaxaca and Guanajuato and had never even been to the beach before. I warned them beforehand about seasickness and told them to bring Dramamine. I bought two or three boxes of it, not for me, but for the kids. Trouble is, it only works if you take it before you get on the water.

None of the kids took any. Half of the kids were nauseous. Three or four of them were actively throwing up. Oy. On the trip back, I had kids begging me for Dramamine three hours before the ferry was due to dock.