Another 'What's this book?' thread

I remember reading this book years ago.
It takes place in a 1984/Big Brother type of world, no space travel, but everyone is rather equal, they are told whom they can marry, whether or not they can have kids and what their jobs will be. Everyone also lines up regularly for “vitamin” shots, which we later learn probably are tranquilizers and birth control.
I think it was told in the first person, and the main character (male) had one blue eye and one green eye.
He eventually figures out a way to avoid his shots, starts thinking more clearly and even finds his way to where everyone is being controlled and tries to destroy the place (I think it was an island).
I just remember these details, but I do remember thinking it was a really good book, and I would like to read it again.
Any ideas? Thanks!

I don’t know what happened to my thread title.
It was supposed to be “Another ‘What’s this book?’ thread”
Sorry.

That happened to me once too; has to do with using quotation marks in the subject. That book wouldn’t be Brave New World, would it? I can’t remember all the details because it’s been years since I read it. I think it was by Aldous Huxley (sp?).

Spider Woman,
Thanks, but no, it’s not Brave New World. I explained what I could remember to the librarian and she suggested that, too, but it wasn’t right. She did recognize it somewhat and said she would try to figure it out and call me if she remembers.
I thought someone on here might recognize it.

This is actually a movie, but maybe there was a novelization of *Logan’s Run[/]?

It involves some of the same themes you mention. The kicker in the story is that everyone is euthanized when they turn thirty. One’s age could be determined by the color of a crystal implanted in the palm of a hand.

The other things you mentioned, like arranged marriages, and secntral cultural control are all mentioned in the movie. The scenes of the executions – called “Carousel” – were shot at the Fort Worth Watergardens in downtown Ft. Worth, Texas.

Good movie, really, for mid-70’s science fiction.

Must remember to preview, first. Left out the i in a . Sorry.
This is actually a movie, but maybe there was a novelization of Logan’s Run?

It involves some of the same themes you mention. The kicker in the story is that everyone is euthanized when they turn thirty. One’s age could be determined by the color of a crystal implanted in the palm of a hand.

The other things you mentioned, like arranged marriages, and secntral cultural control are all mentioned in the movie. The scenes of the executions – called “Carousel” – were shot at the Fort Worth Watergardens in downtown Ft. Worth, Texas.

Good movie, really, for mid-70’s science fiction.

Drum God,
Thank you also, but I know it was not a novelization of Logan’s Run.
I know the main character would talk to his grandfather (older than 30, of course) and the grandfather would talk about the “old” days, before all these changes. That’s part of what makes the main character think there is something wrong going on.

How about The Giver by Lois Lowry.

People took pills to subdue sexual impulses. The number of children, spouses, and jobs were controlled. The main character, Jonas, had green eyes, while most of the community had brown.
He is given the assignment(job) as the Receiver, where his only instructor is an older man, who transmits memories of the world before sameness. Jonas sees what is wrong with his world, but can’t make anyone else in the community see it.

I doubt this is it, but one can never know.

I fixed the subject line.

Just a quick note — the novel “Logan’s Run” came out first, but quite a bit. The movie was based on the book, not vice versa.
I don’t think Logan’s Run, in any of its incarnations, fits the description. sad tosay, can’ think of anything that does. Sorry.

Oh, damn, I swear I’ve read this one too, but it’s been a long time.

WAG: This Perfect Day by Ira Levin?

Just a WAG, but are you thinking of We by Eugene Zamiatin? The outline you describe doesn’t sound too similar to We, but We, in its “dystopian” vision was the forerunner to 1984.

The story line has some substantial differences from what you describe, but… is it “Harrison Bergeron” by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.?

No, “Harrison Bergeron” was the story where everybody had enforced equality in their physical abilities (to the lowest common denominator). So anyone born with natural talent had to wear heavy stuff to handicap them. Beautiful people had to wear masks on their faces.

The scene from this that really hit home was dramatized as part of a television special, Between Time and Timbuktu, that combined pieces of various Vonnegut stories. The “Harrison Bergeron” bit showed a ballerina and another dancer doing a pas de deux. They had heavy weights hung on their bodies to “compensate” for being lithe and graceful, and they wore masks. Then they decide to take off the weights and masks, and they dance beautifully. This old lady is the enforcer – Diana Moon Glampers – she pulls out a pistol and BANG! kills the dancers.

More recently there was a movie called “Dark City” (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0118929) The theme is similar, except it was more sci fi then what you are describing, but I seem to remember daily shots and different color eyes of the main character, in the movie there is a race of aliens or something, and they have the ability to change reality they call it tuneing. I think it might be based on that book everyone is mentioning Logans run or something

It is This Perfect Day by Ira Levin – I just re-read it last month.

YES! That’s it. This Perfect Day, by Ira Levin. As soon as I saw the title, I remembered it. THANK YOU so much! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
And thanks to everyone who made guesses!
:::big hugs for Fretful Porpentine and Jess:::
And Chronos, thank you very much for fixing the subject line. I appreciate it.