Any advantage to a liquid-cooled PC?

My laptop is dying by degrees, so I’m going to buy a new computer and have decided a PC is the way to go this time around. Laptops generally get poor reviews by users, and I don’t need the portability.

So I’m looking at a Microtel like either the first one or the third one on this page. The latter has twice the HD size, and some other features, and is liquid cooled. Is this a thing worth having or just something else to eventually die and cost me a lot of money?

I don’t need the power for gaming. I want the speed and HD size and the graphics for photo storage and Photo Shop manipulation, along with some other applications. I’m sure I can get away with 1TB instead of 2TB, but why skimp on storage? Also, I know nothing about the AMD chip, but am somewhat familiar with the i7 Intel chip.

So are these about a wash, other than the cooling part of it?

a computer geek will be in to give a definitive answer or 3. That said, you don’t need liquid cooled for your basic PC operation.

Let me give an unsolicitated plug for an All in One (AIO) PC. Instead of a tower and a monitor, an AIO has the PC bits on the back of the monitor. It’s semi portable (I take mine with us when we go on trips and use it in the hotel), one piece, doesn’t have messy cables, has a big screen, can have 2 or 3 points of touch (which will be useful if you upgrade to Windows 8), etc. There are a lot of price points and there are cheaper AMD chip as well as Intel chip. Screen sizes go from 19" to 27" (and the price goes up with the screen). The Apple version is called the iMac.

Microsoft store AIO’s are here: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/list/parentCategoryID.44066900/categoryID.50787300 I know there are other brands that are 19" AMD with 2 points of touch that are much cheaper like around $600-700.

Yeah, you don’t need liquid cooling. It is mainly used by gamers who really overclock their CPUs and GPUs.

Advantage? You can do this to it. (Aquarium-cooled computer)

I used to do water cooling.

After the nearest miss ever leakwise I dont any more. Unless you know why you want to do it, and are prepared to risk losing a lot of components in a worst case scenario dont.

It was useful in that we didnt have air-conditioning and hot weather and it was quiet, but its not hard to manage that with modern air cooling now anyway.

Otara

That’s where I’m at right now; my system gets too hot, wails a little siren sound (like the two-note European police siren) and then shuts down, bam, right in my face. Not fun.

I’m shopping for a new system (desktop) and will ask the vendor for advice: water cooled? Or just lots of fans?

How old is your system? The thermal compound on the PCU does dry out over time and loses effectiveness.
Make sure all your fans are working and speeding up when needed.

Just get a huge case and a proportionally-big cooler, like the Noctua I use. Very, very quiet, and very cool-running.

No water cooling for your needs. Period. 2 TB is a HUUUUGE amount of storage, and you will likely never use most of it, yet you will pay for all of it. PM me for some suggestions, I can help you quite a bit, and I don’t sell or shill.

AIO systems are Great! Until they break, then it’s a nightmare of parts ordering, markup, and general BS. You’re on your own fixing one of them, and take it from me, they suck to troubleshot because everything is integrated, and some things inside the case carry a potentially lethal charge.

You need to first clean out your case with a fairly high powered compressed air stream. The stuff you get from Office supply places is almost a joke.

So where can someone get a high powered supply of compressed air?

I’ve held out against getting an AIO because I haven’t seen any that are user-serviceable (I’ve only looked at an iMac though). I think being able to remove harddisks is quite important, and saves you some trouble. PCs that you can’t open yourself are like cars without bonnets.

You don’t need water cooling.

For that much money, i’d buy this instead.

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/301595

it’s cheaper, and comes with a really awesome 24 inch monitor. (I own one, and can vouch for it’s quality)
Buy more ram for 40$ and buy a 3 tb harddrive for like 150$. and you’ll still come out cheaper then that 1300$ system you linked.

Check out whether your vacuum cleaner has a “reverse” option.

Be careful with that. Air moving fast through long plastic hoses can generate static electricity.

The sole advantage to liquid cooling in a PC is that it can transport the heat from the thing needing cooling (the CPU) to a large heat exchanger (radiator) which doesnt need to be physically stuc on top of the CPU.

No desktop system should need water cooling in order to run quietly and keep temperatures in spec. Unfortunately it looks like Microtel slaps together the same off-the shelf components which you could buy yourself from Newegg. I’d recommend something from a notable brand like HP or Dell who actually design their own systems.

My system isn’t overclocked but, with summer upon us, it runs a little warmer these days when I’m playing games. It’s in the 70’s © while playing some shooters. I only have the stock fan on it and was thinking about getting one of those fans with the additional heat sinks such as this. Any opinions? Think it’ll help? The reviews look very positive and there doesn’t seem to be much to screw up with it (aside from the usual things like not applying enough goop).

I looked at some AIO computers, but they invariably have a lot of pissed off people posing reviews about them, from weak hinges to being DOA. The Microtel may be off-the-shelf components, but they are rated very highly by people who own them, which is why I’m leaning that way. I already have a 2TB external drive, so the 1TB version of the computer would likely be fine. I swore years ago that I’d never buy a Dell computer, as the ones I used on the job were just crap. I’ll take a look at the other suggestions here.

I use that one for my i5 system and it works really well, much quieter than the stock fan and temperature runs from 35C in idle to the upper 40’s under load. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Towers don’t overheat like laptops do. The reason laptops overheat so easily is because their components are much closer together and harder to get airflow to. Also, a lot of people put them on surfaces that facilitate poor airflow, like their laps while wearing jeans or cloth couches. Putting a laptop on a soft cloth surface on a regular basis (as opposed to using a cooling pad on a desk every single time) is not good for it.

A water-cooling setup will run you a lot more than a small window A/C unit in the computer room, and won’t gain you anything unless you’re an uber-gamer. I’m pricing A/C units on Amazon right now, and you can get a good one for $125 or less. Just do that and put your computer within 10 feet of the unit.

Eat lots of beans?