Any cat experts out there?

Okay, here’s the deal. I have this 20-year-old Siamese cat who sleeps like a baby all day long and wakes up about 10:00 p.m. and stays awake most of the night. Wouldn’t be so bad, except that she wants everyone else in the house to be awake with her–mostly me, since I’m the mom. She jumps on the bed, paws at me, licks me and, most annoying of all, meows really loud (I think she’s hard of hearing, so she has to meow really loud to hear herself). She only started this about 3 years ago about the time her litter mate had to be put to sleep. At first I thought she was looking for her sister, but now I think she’s just lonely. She’s very territorial, which is why I never got another cat.

Anyway, the thing is, someone told me I could give her a little St. John’s Wart (good for human depression) or Valerian root to help her calm down and sleep at night, but I don’t know how much to give her and don’t want to OD the poor little kitty (despite what my hubby says–he didn’t raise her since she was 6 weeks old). She only weighs about 5 pounds. Does anyone know if an overdose of either of these remedies could be fatal or otherwise harmful? We sure could use some sleep around here. We also have a 6-month-old baby, who usually sleeps through the night, but between the two of them, I am totally sleep deprived.

We are also planning a short car trip this weekend (only about 2 hours to Gramma’s for Easter). Kitty used to be a great little traveler, but the last couple of times we took her in the car she got car sick (makes for such an enjoyable outing). Does anybody know if you can give Dramamine to a 5-pound cat?

I would appreciate any help any of you can offer. Perhaps there are some veterinarians out there? Other than the above and a slight hairball problem (you cat owners can relate, I’m sure), she is in excellent health for a little old lady. Thanks!

Duplicate thread