Any current companies you see circling the bowl?

The on-line retailers are doing some gonzo serious employee abuse at the big warehouses where underpaid, overworked, hideously abused employees pull orders from the shelves. Or, rather, they enable that, by outsourcing the warehouse operations to third-party companies that just provide the warehouse services. It seems really nasty for the employees there. But what the hell, it’s all behind the scenes, and out of the eye of the public consumers.

I Was a Warehouse Wage Slave Mac McClelland, March/April 2012 Issue, Mother Jones. (Google Warehouse Wage Slave to find more.)

Amazon is installing robots to reduce the human labor in their DC’s.

There are people on the perimeter packing orders, or feeding inventory into the system while the robots perform the traveling, moving the inventory into the central area and carrying it back to the packers when it gets ordered.

See Forrester Research and their legendarily idiotic “Amazon.toast” prediction back in 1997. From Forbes:

I disagree, they’ve rolled that out in only a few of the DC’s in the US, they bought Kiva systems to do what you’ve described, however, most of their labour is still Human.

Is RIM even still around?

No offense Blackberry.:smiley:

Plus, they get me. They understand my likes well enough so that when I go to their site if I look at their suggestions for me there are invariably items there that I want. I buy books at Barnes and Nobel for my first generation Nook, and you should see the crap they keep tring to foist upon me. If I never see another Sookie Stackhouse book again it’ll be too soon, I’ve never bought one, but they keep trying to sell me one. Amazon never does that. It’s on the edge of being eerie.

I can’t bring myself to buy Amazon stock because I like a company to pay dividends, but their strategy of putting everything back into the business and gaining market share is not stupid.

Yeah, but they own Babies R’Us which seems to be doing pretty well whenever I’ve gone there.

Blackberries are still around, dude! :cool:

Blackberry still gets a lot of corporate business since their email handling and other business features are excellent without having the distractions of SmartPhones (or the Smartphone’s horrible email handling).

You say you “disagree” and then explain exactly what I said which is that they are installing robots.

What exactly do you disagree with?

All I see there is that they get a hell of a lot more work per $ out of their employees than other places do (from a survival/profitability perspective). And in the current labor market I don’t see that how they operate is unsustainable. In a tight labor market, sure, it will impact their ability to get employees, but now ? Whether it is moral, right, etc, are meaningless to the survival of the company unless there is a huge contingent that make purchasing decisions on that, and I think history has shown that there just isn’t.

U.S. Cellular. Sold off it’s biggest markets to Sprint (Chicago and St. Louis). Lost three members of it’s executive team (including the CEO) in the last 4 months. Consistent rise in churn over the last 2-3 years. Recently implemented a new billing system that is slowing bringing the company to it’s knees. Cancelled it’s no contracts on postpaid program as other carriers introduced the same. They’ve done away with everything that differentiated them from the competition and have turned themselves into a Verizon clone, but without the nationwide network and phone selection. They’ll either be bought out by a competitor or out of business in two years.

The only Depot left around here is down the street from Staples HQ.

Only way I could tell them apart was the interior colors: Staples Red, Max Yellow, Depot Blue.

Yeah, not to be cruel, but every K-Mart I know of has always looked like it was about two days away from closing forever.

JC Penny recently found some sucker who was willing to invest a billion dollars in them, so they’ll probably be around for another year or so.

Suzuki pulled out of the US market a few years ago, so I’d say things aren’t doing too well for them these days. I believe they still sell motorcycles and ATV’s, however.

Mitsubishi is currently staging a little bit of a comeback. Which is to say, their sales are up from the abysmal levels they were at last year. I’ll think they’ll hang around for a little while longer, but I can see them in serious trouble a few years from now. I’m surprised they haven’t shut down their factory in Normal, Illinois by now. I expect they will some time in the next couple of years.

That they’ve been rolled out in DC’s en masse.

Does anyone still shop on Ebay? I used to really like it 5-6 years ago, but I never go there anymore. Paypal is the same way - never really liked it, used it because there wasn’t another option, but not a service I ever had warm fuzzies about.

I bought a couple of computers, when it was buy.com. The price and quality was better than I could afford anywhere else at the time. The Rakuten interface is worse than ebay. An item search will give you the exact same item, in 17 different categories, 9 prices, and 40 items that have nothing in common with your search.

Wait a sec. U.S. Cellular paid like a gazllion dollars for 20-year naming rights to the White Sox ballpark, and now they don’t even have service in Chicago anymore?

I’ll bet someone’s wishing they had their gazillion dollars back.