Any Dopers ever walk the Mackinac Bridge on Labor Day?

The Mackinac Bridge, which connects the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan, is, at around 5 miles, the longest suspension bridge in the Western Hemisphere.

In 1958, when it turned a year old, the Mackinac Bridge Walk began. Each Labor Day since, anywhere from 40,000 to 90,000 folks, led by the current governor, walk from the upper to the lower peninsula.

I did it yesterday, thought it was pretty awesome.

Anyone else ever do it?
mmm

No, but I regret not doing it. I lived in East Lansing(Go Spartans!) from 1986 to 1989, and could have gone up there, but didn’t. Now I’m sorry I passed on the chance.

Thought I would resurrect this thread on the off chance that a fellow Doper will be walking the Big Mac on Monday.
mmm

Nope, I’m already on the right side of the bridge, no reason to head down to troll-land. :smiley:

Too far to go just to walk across the bridge. On the other hand, might be a good idea to visit the UP. On the other other hand, 90,000 other folks might have that same idea. :frowning:

I know you’re being hilarious, but this year they changed it. You only walk half-way, then turn around and come back.

You need not set foot on the mitten. :slight_smile:
mmm

I did the walk many years ago when Bush Sr. was pres. He was in town at the time too. Didn’t get to meet him though.

Walking across the bridge was a blast! it’s a fantastic view of the Straits, which I only get glimpses of when I drive across. It’s a shame you only get to walk halfway across and back now. More of a sense of accomplishment to walk the whole thing.

why not walk the whole thing?

Pops was going to do it twenty or so years ago but it got cancelled due to the weather. He still managed to get the T-shirt, though.

Responding to the OP, I once rode my bicycle across it. It was the last leg of DALMAC (Dick Allen Lansing-To-Mackinaw Ride) around 1981. About 800 of us rode across after spending four days riding 375 miles. But never walked.

Maybe because once you walk the 5 miles one way, you have to walk another 5 miles back? That’s my WAG.

MMM, in the post just before my post, said they changed it this year so you only walk halfway across the bridge and then walk back. Maybe he was joking and I didn’t catch it, but I was referring to that.

Yes I did once. It was a nice walk. You don’t walk both ways, it’s one way (north to south). They may have changed it, but back then you had the option of parking on the north side (St Ignace) and walking to the south side (Mackinaw City, and yes it’s spelled differently) then busing back to get your car. Or you could park on the south side, bus north and then walk south back to your car.

It’s more than 5 miles to walk and a bit more depending on your transportation and parking arrangements. I didn’t find it all scary but if you’re afraid of heights you might avoid the lane that has a grated deck as opposed to conventional concrete. The grade uphill is a bit tiring so pace yourself.

You’ll find that Mackinaw City is extremely congested on Labor Day so eating may require a long wait. There’s lots of shops and of course fudge.

I tried to do it a second time but that particular year, we got up to the bridge but the walk was canceled due to winds. It doesn’t happen often though.

Nope, it’s not a joke. You walk halfway, turn around, and come back for a total of 5 miles. You can start in either peninsula.

You can also walk the entire length if you choose. If you do, though, you need to coordinate the logistics ahead of time so you’re not stranded on the opposite peninsula (the bridge will be closed to traffic into the afternoon).

Or, you can walk 5 miles across and 5 miles back. I’m hoping the group I’m with isn’t planning on doing that, but I suspect they are.
mmm

I’ve lived in Michigan (Detroit area) for 6 years now and I’ve really wanted to go. This year won’t be the year though.

I see, thanks. Back when I did it, they only closed one side of the bridge, and the 2 lanes on the other side were temporarily turned into 2-way traffic. They had shuttle buses constantly running that would take you to the other side so you could walk the entire length and be back to the side where you parked.