Any fellow dopers looking forward to Dragon Age 2?

Well if you’re thinking of another playthrough you can romance her by doing her personal quest ASAP and getting her up to ‘love’ status. She’s surprisingly one of the harder love interests (considering you can have a threesome/foursome with her later).

There’s a feeble archive for DA saves Here that never took off but might be worth a look to see if they have a savegame that matches what you want.

Play the demo. totally awsome, and it will give you a taste to see wither you like the new combat system. I love it myself.

You get to import one single save file(Origins, Awakening, Golems of Amgarrak or Witch Hunt, not one from each. The later the DLC you play on, the more decisions it will import). The only stuff I have heard of that will affect DA2 are the big things like who you put on the throne, and who killed the Archdemon(Also if your Warden ''Interacted" with the pirate captain Isabella, that will almost certainly be mentioned, since she’s a companion). Also, you can have a character who sacrificed themselsves, and play through Awakening with them, and DA2 will still show that your Warden dies to end the Blight, and a placeholder Warden was used to make all your decisions from DA:A.

I highly recomend playing thrugh as a Dalish Elf, since Hawke will be running into the Dalish Elf’s clan in DA2, and one of Hawke’s companions will be from said clan(Merril, the clan’s keeper, is a confirmed companion).

Of course, if you don’t want to use up the time to play thorugh DA:O again, you can just use one of the default playthroughs available at the begining of the game. They are:

“Hero of Ferelden” (Indeterminant Origin and gender): Ended Fifth Blight by killing Archdemon and survived. Placed Alistair on the throne.
“The Martyr”(Female, Dalish Elf Origin): Died to kill the Archdemon. She left the kingdom ruled by Alistair and Anora.
“No Compromise”(Mele, Dwarf Noble Origin): Took command of Grey Wardens. Exiled Alistair, sent Loghain to his death against Archdemon, and left Anora as Ferelden’s ruler.

DA2 doesn’t feel very much like a sequel, rather it is a continuation of the world. Even so, I’ll be competing the last of my six primary playthroughs sometimes next week. I decided that I should have one Warden from each origin, and have been working on that for the past three months.

Also, I never had a problem romancing Leliana. She takes the most approval before she becomes available as a love interest, but that makes her all the more interesting for some of my Wardens. Go to the Dragon Age Wiki, and you will be given IN-DEPTH instructions on how to woo her. It’s amazing just how little life some fans have.

Not that I would know, or anything.

But I don’t know how to get to the Chantry from where I am. Isn’t the Chantry the cathedral place you start the game in? I don’t seem to have the option of going back. The door isn’t clickable. So I’m hoping it becomes possible to get back there at a later date. Does the game ‘open up’ after an initial period of introductory play like some games do (you are stuck in a vault in the beginning of fallout 3, you are stuck in a smaller area for the beginning of Just Cause 2)

I feel pretty bad for recommending it now!

Just keep playing, the whole world will open up for you (save a few particular areas).

No you probably haven’t been to Redcliff yet. It is one of the three places you can go to recruit allies for the final battle. Though if you want a tip don’t go there immediately after the map opens up or you’ll have a heck of a fight on your hands. The game doesn’t really help you on this but with min/max enemy levels there is an order to where you should go for the main quests. I’ll spoiler it in case anyone wants to explore on their own.

1. Mage Tower
2. Redcliff
3. Forest
4. Orzammar
5. Denerim
Though don’t worry I did them completely out of order and did ok on my first playthrough. In fact I usually don’t even hold to that order now that I know it as I have my own preferred route through the game.

So another question about Dragon Age while we’re at it -

there are a couple side questy things that are sending me to Denerim (the ashes of who’s her face and a couple mage quests); should I avoid going there until I’m ready to take on Teryn Loghain or whatever his name is?

[spoiler]Don’t worry, you won’t have to face Loghain in Denerim for a long, long time.

However, beware: while the starting quarter is relatively safe (including the guy you have to see for the ashes, don’t remember the mage quests), if you try to explore the rest of the city or do the sidequests you’re given by the chief of police you’ll be ambushed by thieves as “random” encounters when moving to other neighbourhoods.

They’re pretty hard hitting and have lots of archers, making them tough encounters for low level characters.[/spoiler]

The Chantry is the name of Ferelden’s religion, as well as their Fantasy Word for a church. In this case, it’s the Redcliffe church, which is on the main square.

BTW, did you get Sten and Leliana for your party in Lothering, the first town you went to after the big battle ? You should really make sure to get them both before you leave that town, else they’re lost forever. Leliana’s in the tavern and more or less bullies herself into the party so she’s hard to miss. Sten is the guy in the cage and you have to diplo the Reverend Mother of the church before she lets him go (either by pledging to keep him in check, or by threatening her… Morrigan prefers the latter but both Leliana and Alistair’s heads will asplode if you do it in front of them ;))

Though it is good advice to clear out Lothering before you go (there’s no reason not to). A slight nitpick is that you can return up until you complete a major quest line.

Stupid question: How do you get Alister and Anora married and ruling jointly?

From what I understand you need to have cunning in the high 20s, persuasion maxed out, and talk to both of them about it before the Landsmeet. Further you MUST kill Loghain by yourself, as Anora won’t marry her father’s killer. The only other thing that may affect it is hardening Alistair. I can’t find any concrete info on whether or no hardening Alistair effects it at all, I suspect it does.

Yeah, hardening Alistair makes it easier on the persuasion requirement.

What if I have mad huge amounts of cunning (lethality build archer) and no Persuasion?

Coercion adds +25 to your base score and the hardest checks in the base game are 100. So you’d need 110 cunning for a hard check persuade to work.

Tried to edit but my connection dropped and I missed the window.

The game subtracts ten from your base score when calculating bonuses. That’s why you’d need 110 and not 100 to pass a skill check of 100. I don’t actually know what skill level the marry option is. It could be on the 75 or 50 point tier.

I have Persuasion maxed out, and Cunning in the low-mid thirties. I did not harden Alister, I’d thought he’d be easier to control (push around) if I had not. Did I screw the pooch?

Make sure you talk to them individually about it before the Landsmeet, I think it’s impossible unless you convince them both individually beforehand. If that doesn’t work, you’re probably screwed. To see if you’re literally screwed run the game with the option -enabledeveloperconsole, hit ` (grave), before the dialogue, type runscript dbg_setattrib 5 200 which should increase your cunning by 200 for two minutes. Then you should know if it’s truly impossible or not.

Edit: If I have Blood Mage unlocked and I specialize in it, do I automatically lose Wynne, or does that just require doing something stupid like shouting “I’M A MALEFICAR” in front of her? I won’t do the quest, since I have it unlocked, just pick it as my specialty. I always thought that Blood Mages aren’t necessarily evil (hell, see Jowan), so I figured if I kept it under the radar it would be useful and nobody would freak out that their hero is a Blood Mage.

Don’t know for sure, but I did drink the poison thingy in Soldier’s Peak (thereby unlocking the specialty) right in front of her, and she didn’t blink.

I did that too, but that doesn’t seem to be the same, I hear choosing the real person Blood Mage tree causes disagreements with Wynne.