Any good reason polls aren't enabled?

Agreed.

I could also implement this feature. That is, I have access to the tools in order to do this, and to change several other things about this message board.

If I do this, though, without express permission beforehand, I would probably be removed as an admin/mod*. Probably I wouldn’t be banned for it. Probably. All of the moderating staff understand that some things MUST be approved of before we do them. We have the technical ability to do more things than we have permission to do.

*I’m not an active member of the moderating staff, my title is more of a courtesy title at this point, if I see a spammer I’ll remove the spam and ban the spammer, and that’s about the end of my duties these days.

So basically, you admins aren’t allowed to actually administrate unless the boss gives you explicit permission beforehand? That’s just plain sad. Does he beat you if you don’t have dinner ready when he gets home?

Thinking on, you’d be the perfect choice for rebel because you don’t have much to lose. If you turned it on, likely the worst that would happen is that you’d lose an almost cursory title. You’d come out looking like a hero and your guv would lose some of the modicum of good will he has remaining.

That’s the worst case scenario. Chances are if you turned it on, deleted this thread and had everybody keep quiet about it it’d be more than likely that he’d never even notice.

I decided to ask Ed myself about the polling. Nothing to lose here.

During the process of composing an email to him, strange things began to happen… I felt myself in his presence and so, naturally, I grabbed a digital video recorder to document my experiences. I would get the answer to the polling question on record and have some footage of Ed that we could compare to Cecil whenever we can track him down.

I’ve posted it on here on You Tube so that you can experience it just as I did.

Sure hope I can hear him tonight on the radio.

What a beautiful song! I love music in harmonic minor keys — often called “funeral dirges”.

No. I do use some of the administrative tools. For instance, I run IP searches on suspicious users, and ban IPs if they are only used by spammers or other objectionables. It’s just that someone else makes the major decisions.

Whether I value my admin title or not is not your decision. As a matter of fact, I do. If I was going to make some sort of change, it certainly wouldn’t be something as trivial (to me) as enabling polls. It would be something that was actually important to me. And I doubt that I’d come out looking like a hero. In short, that ain’t the hill that I want to die on.

The shame of it is that someone would shoot you if you stood on that hill.

Totally irrelevant nitpick: it’s natural minor. Also, harmonic minor isn’t a “key”, it’s a mode. [/TIN]

Thanks for that correction, fachverwirrt! :slight_smile: Is a mode the same as a scale? And is a melodic minor the same as a natural minor, but with the seventh flatted?

Check your PMs.

This is now into a different realm, and there is another thread.

We do hear you, we are trying to send this request up the line (again.)

It is amazing to me that you seemingly have made this request more than once and have gotten silence in reply. I mean, what the fuck, can’t he just say, “I don’t want polls on my board” or “I don’t care either way” or whatever? Wow.

So, I’m tempted to throw your words back at you:
“It is amazing to me that you seemingly have made this request more than once and have gotten a reply, and still continue to post about it. I mean, what the fuck, can’t you just shut up about it for a couple of days? Wow.”

I’ve said, in the post just before, that we hear you. I’ve said that we’re seeing what we can do. And now, you will jump all over me for daring to being satiric, but go ahead…

Calm down, Dex. Seriously. I am pretty sure that I never posted about polls ever in my life before my previous reply. I actually don’t care if you turn it on or not. I’m honestly not even sure what your response to me even means.

My comment was expressing surprise that Admins and Mods at the Dope have asked questions to Ed about polls and other issues and that you don’t even get a response from him. It’s one thing if Ed simply doesn’t like polls on message boards. People can agree to disagree about that. It’s something else entirely to ignore requests about it or to not just give Administrators the discretion to turn on a simple feature if the choose to do so. I feel for you.

Seems to me that admin annoyance would be better directed towards the person or persons up the chain of command who do not respond to their requests and who forbid them from doing more than basic admin duties or else get fired, rather than towards people who express bemusement that such a situation exists and who get annoyed on the admin’s behalf at what appears to be shabby treatment towards a volunteer staff.

Y’all might actually get somewhere if you directed a pissy attitude toward the right target.

Jeeze, it’s like stopping a guy beating his missus only to have her try and scratch yer eyes out.

This is why people make fun of committees.

Have you formulated a task group to ascertain the public’s level of interest in determining the possibility of polls? Isn’t our time better spent creating a mission statement rather than acting on user feedback? Etc. etc. etc.