Any ideas on how to survive homelessness?

I don’t get along with people, just ask my coworkers.
I don’t like the cost of driving/vehicle ownership.
I don’t like the cost of my housing with taxes, utilities, maintenance, etc…
I have arthritis in my joints so even with medication it is difficult at times to do my job.
I do not like crowds so even going to the grocery store is agitating for me.

I could go on about things that are wrong with me and why I shouldn’t need to work or how I should expect other people to pay my way through life because of my problems/issues. But no, I have to deal with my problems and be a productive member of society.

Tough it up buttercup.

Warning for a6ka97. This is the wrong type of thread to post such as this. I am specifically telling you to stay out of this thread from this point forward. Next time you see a thread like this, try reading through it first. If the best you’ve got is “Tough it up buttercup.” then I strongly suggest you don’t bother to post.

The Op is looking for help, if you feel they should just tough it up or have nothing constructive to add. Please refrain from posting.

Best wishes to the OP in these very tough circumstances.

Will you people STFU about this and get back to the OP?

If I were facing homelessness, my first worry would be where to sleep. Montreal has a huge underground city that includes 8 Metro stops, but I do not know whether any parts of it stay open overnight. But I have often seen people sleeping in various parts of it and nobody seems to disturb them.

The most food for the least money I am aware of is Basha (there is a branch in the basement of the Eaton Centre). I have often remarked that if I could afford only one meal a day, I would get one of their platters for $10.

I assume your lease expires on June 30 so you have three months to explore options with social service agencies.

Hari, I love that you have practical Montreal suggestions. Any other Dopers nearby?

Emily, do keep coming back to this thread and updating us. Even if it’s just to tell us how you’re feeling. We care!

Thank you. Sorry if I sounded snippy earlier.

You were just fine. It’s a lot of stress.

Phone calls can be really hard, even on a good day. I know Montreal is a city that is renowned for being very much an island onto itself (I know this because Boston is renowned for the same thing and I lived there-what worked elsewhere didn’t necessarily work the same way there), so our suggestions are going to have to be fairly general. Mostly we can just be morale support.

So, hang in here with us. :spoon::spoon::spoon::spoon::spoon::spoon::spoon::spoon::spoon::spoon::spoon::spoon::spoon::spoon::spoon::spoon::spoon::spoon::spoon::spoon::spoon:

Might I make a suggestion and go ahead and renew your lease? I don’t know the tenant laws of Toronto, but typically there is a lengthy process for eviction. You can’t just be kicked out on the street. Even if the landlord is the biggest non-threatening asshole in the world, I have to think that is preferable to not having a roof over your head. At least until you come up with an alternative plan.

No. I already told him I wasn’t renewing my lease, so it was my decision, even though the landlord doesn’t like me. It was all the noise from my upstairs neighbours that finally broke me. This building is terrible for noise - I think that’s also at the root of the problems my landlord has with me.

I don’t know the tenant laws in Toronto, but I don’t plan to move there.

Many people with autism find phone calls difficult or impossible. It might be better to ask the OP before assuming anything.

@EmilyG Please check and see if any of the women’s shelters or service organizations have a chat function online. It may be easier to get information that way. Once you start getting a few threads it will be easier to consider next steps. Write down a step by step plan to contact those organizations that can help you.

Montreal. Sorry, I must have been thinking of a buddy of mine who sells real estate in Toronto.

Still, I have to think dealing with some noisy neighbors has to be better than being homeless.

I would cautiously second the suggestion by msmith537Guest. Bear in mind that it is easier to extend a lease than to find a new place, by an order of magnitude. Above all, will the new place be any better than what you have now? What you have already sounds less than desirable, but I would honestly recommend you to stay there until you have found something better. Speaking from experience, you get a bad deal if you are in a desperate situation and have to get something in a real hurry.

The thought of being homeless scares the living daylights out of me. I sincerely hope that you can find a good solution for yourself.

Best of luck to you Emily.

I find phone calls extremely hard to do (I’ve got a backlog of three doctors’ offices I should’ve set up appointments with…).

Can you find someone who’d make calls for you?

(Heck, if someone slid me a note in a coffee place that said ‘I find it hard to make phone calls, could you call this agency for me?’ I’d like to think I’d get my phone out right there and make the call) (handy hint: don’t pick a bank teller:)

I don’t have an option to stay here longer-term. If I asked now, the landlord would think even less of me than he already does. I do sometimes regret having officially said I’m leaving (and signed the document saying I’m terminating the lease) but what’s done is done.

The lease isn’t up until the end of June, so I can stay here another month or two or so.

Thank you for your suggestions, and thank you for those who support me. I’ll try to look for a place to live, once I feel a bit better.

https://www.autismspeaks.ca/

Has a part for “Adults on the Spectrum Looking for resources” among other helpful information.

You might consider rooms for rent. For Example: I have a 4 bedroom house. I rent out the master bedroom (private bath/walk in closet). I live in the other 3 bedrooms. My tenant has a small refrigerator in her room and has 1/2 of the main refrigerator space and some kitchen cabinet space. We don’t eat together, do things together, barely talk to each other. You might find someone who travels a lot and would be gone most of the time and would like someone in the home when they are gone. I would say to work as hard as you can to move from one living space to another. Getting out of being homeless will be hard once you are there.

Also, google Extended Stay Hotels in Montreal (Or Long term hotel rental.)as a bridge from your current living space to a new location.
also did search for “Basement for rent in Montreal”- might be quieter for you.
You have options!!
https://www.zolo.ca “Housing resources for people with disabilities”