Any Ranma 1/2 fans out there?

I just unburied some old books in a box and discovered that I had the first 5 trade paperback collections of Ranma 1/2. I began re-reading them last night and I’m remembering why I got them in the first place. They’re pretty funny!

In re-reading, Kuno and Ryoga are two of my favorite characters because they’re both so gleefully self-deluded. Kuno can’t understand why everybody doesn’t just declare him Best At Everything, and Ryoga can’t and won’t admit that he has the sense of direction of a concussed kitten.

I seem to remember years ago that I read some of the other collections, up through about 8 or so, and the constant (and unresolved) bickering between Ranma and Akane grew tiresome. Maybe that’s why I stopped collectiong them. Am I remembering right or does their relationship ever actually grow into anything?

The villainous combatants that the author invents are progressively sillier, but that just makes it more fun.

Does she speak English and do her own translations? How is it that so many of the jokes work well in English? That hasn’t been my experience with translations of other manga.

Did the comic ever stop or is it still being published?

No, it ended some time ago. Takahashi has been doing Inu Yasha (her latest series) for years.

I’m in the same position as you are. It seemed to be endless and not really developing in any direction. After reading the masterpiece of character and story development that was Maison Ikkoku reading a series that seemed to be steady-state was, in the end, diverting but not engaging.

The animated series was better, however, as Viz put together some OAV’s that demonstrated Ranma’s growing affection for Akane.

But I’m a sucker for a love story.

I’m a fan of the t.v. series! I bought the first and second season and enjoyed both very much…but started to get the feeling that they may not have a resolution for the romance so I’ve been focusing on other anime lately.

I found it to be a delightful series though! Ryoga is a favorite of mine, he’s just so cute as P-chan! :slight_smile:

The series ran 38 volumes (in the original Japanese; the Viz editions break it up slightly differently).

It stayed funny all the way through, but after a while the stories all became pretty much alike. In the latter half of its run – even the latter two-thirds – I’d say there are really only a handful of standout stories that are worth reading.

The real problem is that Ranma 1/2 is basically a sitcom. Once the situations are setup, nothing ever changes again. Sadly, this also means that nothing significant is ever allowed to develop, either.

The last storyline – a huge one which took up the entire last two volumes! – was good, and even ended with a wedding scene for Ranma and Akane. But by the time it was over, the wedding was off, and everything was back to the way it had been before. Nothing resolved. Oh, it ends with suggestions that the two will eventually work things out, but frankly, if she wanted to, the author could just pick up and start writing again as if the final storyline had never happened, and not contradict anything.