Any ScienceDopers about?

UncleBeer, strip mining jokes are soooo last epoch.

RT, my friend, you flatter me. But you’re still my favorite uber-geek. smooch!

Unc I briefly considered entertaining industry jargon before my last post; believe me it was going to turn into too much too fast (our lives revolve around penetrations).

Hi brachyrhynchos!

We have actually met in person, at the 2000 AMCA meeting in Atlantic City. I remember that you were going out of your head dealing with people who had missed the “deadline” for submitting powerpoint presentations.

In my opinion you were far too nice about it :slight_smile:

MM

I’m in the same boat as Edwino but further downstream I think. Almost finished wth a PhD in molecular immunology and about to go back to clerkships to get the MD work done.

I enjoy science more than clinical work, though. So I guess I’ll be poor my whole life:)

ohmilord. Busted.

Well, you caught me at my worst, Mosman, but thank you for the kind words. Man, you’d think I was asking for a kidney, not a presentation the way a few (and a very few, thankfully) put it off until the last possible minute. That was way too stressful for me so this year I stuck with coordinating only the NJMCA AV.

Say, you don’t work with Wolbachia by any chance? I’m trying to place who you are, but it’s a bit hard remembering (for me at any rate) someone from a meeting of 1200 people.

Ph.D. ornithologist and tropical biologist here. I’m a Research Associate at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Panama. These days I’m mostly involved in conservation-oriented studies and site inventories.

Epidemiologist here.

Very cool. What diseases do you track?

Um…

Subduction leads to orogeny?

Geologists make the bedrock?

Thrust fault?

::blushes::

You made my day, Geobabe! And you are both my favorite geologist and my favorite Firesign fan. :slight_smile:

brachyrhynchos-

Make that “ditto-busted”. That is me :slight_smile:

MM

Yeah, another genetics PhD student - studying genes involved in embryonic development.

However, I only read the boards when it’s 5:00 AM and I’m waiting for an experiment to finish.

These days, that’s almost every day.

mischievous

Dude (dudette?)

I feel your pain. Editing manuscript from 3am-6am. Must…keep…typing…

I am studying computergameology, I mean computer science. This field is vital to our well being and sense of self.

OldMan noted:

That’s great, pal! My brother-in-law retired from a career as a corporate counsel when he was 39 (he’s about 4 years older than me) and began a custom (in wood) furniture business. It took a few years, but he’s now quite busy, and appears happy. And he’s got lots of weird-ass chairs.

Good luck!

Really? Me too! I’m trying to finish my PhD, hope to be done in a year or so. What are you working on?

So, like, for people with three cheeks, or what?

By the way, I’m a non-scientist who’s happily married to katrina, above – so for anybody who’s still in the relationship market, it’s the best thing that ever happened to me; I can wholeheartedly recommend getting attached to a scientist. Actually, more specifically, I would recommend getting attached to katrina, but she’s taken, and you can’t have her. :wink: