Any secrets to gathering super cut material?

(Might be Café Society…mods decide)

I am obsessed with a particular idea for a supercut. But the material I need to go through is roughly 100 1 hour episodes of one television show… so does anyone know of any software, tips or tricks, or script databases to assist with the task?

I’m not expecting there is, but you don’t know until you ask…

I just saw something called Shotdetect, that doesn’t seem like it would find what I need to find…what I really need is access to the scripts…

Damn its too bad dictation still hasn’t reached the level that would work for this, but wouldn’t it be nice if I could just play each episode and set some kind of dictation software to transcribe? Sigh…

I’m no help because I don’t know what a supercut is.

Supercut.
noun \ˈsü-pər-kət\ — A fast-paced montage of short video clips that obsessively isolates a single element from its source, usually a word, phrase, or cliche from film and TV.

Without scripts, I think there is no substitute for watching or at least skimming the material, all 100 hours of it. I have found it’s possible to skim at high speed watching for scenes likely to contain the target, but I can’t think of any faster way to locate the material… and then you have to do a manual capture of that few seconds or whatever and file it.

Is the joke really worth that much work?

I’d do the skimming by ripping out the audio tracks and listening to them at high speed while doing something else. You can quickly create your raw clips with something like ffmpeg once you have all the times that whatever you’re after occurs.

Is the material close captioned? In the past I know I have seen transcripts created by ripping the closed captioning from a television show. I don’t know the process, but it seems like that might work if you could figure out how it’s done.

Actually, while I thought of doing it just because it would amuse the fuck out of me, the show is sufficiently popular and what I want to do is plenty amusing enough that I think I could make some money on YouTube with it, although that’s not really my primary motivation, it might end up being my justification for the time I might spend.

Back around 2002, 2003 I was a late comer Buffy fanatic. And specifically a hard-core Spuffy fanatic. My life was also much much easier and I have a lot of free time and I took some of that time to work with much more primitive tools then we have today to create my own “story of spike” – and assembly of all of spikes scenes from the beginning in order without anything else. I didn’t complete it, but I did get halfway through the fourth season. And it was wildly fun to do and fun to have and I never posted it or anything, but what I have in mind now would be technically a whole lot easier. The bummer is that I’m not looking for visuals, what I’m looking for is text.

Having said that I actually did discover a source for all of the scripts. It’s very sloppy work but it exists, and I think with that I will be able to pull this off. My life requires me to be not so frivolous so it won’t be very soon but I think I’m going to do it and I think it would be tons of fun.

I guess I’m old. I saw the thread title and wondered what material the OP could get from a Supercuts, and why he would want it.

Hair, lots and lots of hair.

Also, WRT monetizing a video on youtube, from what I’ve read, it either was to go wildly viral or you have to have lots of videos with lots of views for it to be worthwhile. I have a random youtube video that’s up to about 1400 views and I thought about monetizing it, but, even though I couldn’t find any hard numbers, what I could find tells me that those 1400 views would bring me back about a quarter or a dollar or something that made it not worth the hassle of putting an ad at the begging of an 8 second video*. The only people that have said it’s worth it are people that are making youtube videos as a weekend thing, promoting them, and getting hundreds of thousands of views a month.

*Having said that, if you think it’s going to go viral and it’s long enough that no one’s going to care about an ad at the beginning, go for it. Even if all you get is a few dollars, it’s better than getting no dollars.

And assuming that ContentID doesn’t immediately flag it and whoever owns the rights to Buffy snatches the ad revenue.

If your videos are getting enough views that it would be worth monetizing them, YouTube will generally contact you to let you know what you’re missing out on. They make their money by selling those ads. They don’t want to serve up a million views and get nothing for it so they’re happy to give you your cut for bringing the content.

Do you have the subtitle tracks for the shows? If so, you can use this automatic thing: Videogrep: Automatic Supercuts with Python – Sam Lavigne

:D:D:D

Can I give you a big sloppy kiss?