Any singers who have covered parodies of their own work?

I know that the Crash Test Dummies have performed “Headline News” with Weird Al a few times.

Sting parodied himself on Dire Straits’ Money for Nothing, the “I want my, I want my, I want my MTV” part being a piss-take of his own “Don’t stand so, don’t stand so, don’t stand so close to me” in the Police hit Don’t Stand So Close To Me.

This was great. Weird Al is a genius. And the Deaf Karaoke with David Armand and Natalie Imbruglia was also really good.

David Wilcox has an unlisted track on one of his CD’s where he does, not a parody per se, but a version of Eye of the Hurricane that is much, much less tear-jerking than the original…whole different style. I was horrified at first, becasue I love that song, but now I really love the “countrified” unsentimental version as much as the original.

Well, Randy Bachman wrote and recorded “You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet” as part of BTO. Burton Cummings then did a sort of lounge lizard version of the song on one of his solo albums. I believe it was meant to be a spoof, or a shot, as the two were on more or less on the outs with each other at the time. I saw them (friends again) in concert a while back and they played the song mostly straight up except for a few bars of the lounge lizard version. Randy didn’t seem to mind that version at all.

Not so much a parody, but the Barenaked Ladies song “Brian Wilson” gets performed by Wilson himself quite often.

This is so outrageously obscure that isn’t even funny, but after an extremely long pause on the last song of their album Rock Solid, The Limestones from St. Olaf add computer effects onto one of their earlier songs – it’s a parody of sorts.

I’m sure some Broadway performers have covered Forbidden Broadway and their parodies of their works.

I would so want to see that.

Gerardo performed in the video of “Taco Grande,” Al’s parody of Gerardo’s “Rico Suave.”

Pat Benetar was a guest on Howard Stern’s radio show once and performed a parody version of “Hit Me With Your Best Shot.”

Curiously, though, she refused to sing the actual lyrics to the song, stating that she had sung it a bazillion times before and never wanted to sing it again.

How about the bluegrass version of Jump? Maybe not really a parody, though.

That’s hilarious. Maybe they can get Yoko Ono to cover the tune they did about her.

Be My Yoko Ono by Barenaked Ladies
Be My Yoko by The Bobs
I Won’t Be Your Yoko Ono by Dar Williams

She could almost get an album out of it.

Shhh. :mad:

Sting also has some fun with The Police’s biggest hit, “Every Breath You Take,” at the end of “Love Is the Seventh Wave” off his solo Dream of the Blue Turtles album. Instead of the usual lyrics of EBYT, he sings:

Every breath you take,
Every move you make,
Every cake you bake,
Every leg you break…

The Circle Jerks appeared in the movie Repo Man doing a lounge act version of their own hardcore punk song “When the Shit Hits the Fan.”

Dan Rather good-naturedly sat in with R.E.M. on “What’s the Frequency Kenneth”, which was a spoof of his immortal line.

Dread Zeppelin was partly a tribute band and partly parody. They were famous for their reggae covers of Led Zeppelin songs with an Elvis sound-alike singing lead. However, for their third album, It’s Not Unusual, they mostly abandoned the Zeppelin covers in favor of songs by the Bee Gees and other artists. One of the songs on that album was “Taking Care of Business” featuring Randy Bachman on vocals.

Tori Amos originally recorded “Professional Widow” as harpsichord-rock. I don’t know if “parody” is quite the word for it but it got lifted and remixed as a very different-sounding “house” dance number by umm somebody-or-other [Googles:::: Armand van Helden, whoever that may be].

Having heard what they did with it, she released her own version based on that, on Tales of a Librarian.

Another one: at least once, Stevie Wonder guested with Coolio, singing Gangsta’s Paradise, which is, of course, based on Stevie’s Pastime Paradise. Not exactly a parody, but not far off.