Any singers who have covered parodies of their own work?

Oh, my ears. Make it stop. That was like some sort of awful karaoke hell.

Ooh, Ooh!, I’ve got one!. Rolf Harris. Although a lot of his earlier stuff was quite light-hearted anyway, he does versions of it now that could easily be called parodies - the most famous being Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport, which he does to the tune of Elgar’s Pomp and Circumstance, as well as doing international language versions (such as this Russian folk version, and extra verses with all sorts of spoofy variations.

Nitpick: Not Rather’s line, but the line of his assaultant William Tager, who was not caught and later killed NBC technician Campbell Montgomery. Rather was an innocent victim in the whole mess.

He did much better than that. He did a different version called Every Bomb You Make for a UK show called Spitting Image in the 80’s. It is better than the original IMO. Starts about 20secs into the clip.

Or even worse [for me at least]—bluegrass versions of Def Leppard’s hits. I kid you not, it’s called “Pickin’ On Def Leppard.” :eek:

Some would say that Eric Clapton (without meaning to?) parodied his Sunshine of your Love riff when he recorded Cocaine.

“One of Us” was parodied by Bob Rivers as “What If God Smoked Cannabis?” and Joan Osborne recorded a version of it. A must hear.

This isn’t quite the same thing, but Brian Boitano has done a skating routine to the song “What would Brian Boitano do?” from the movie South Park.

The “Every Bomb You Drop” clip is great! Looks like the Spitting Image folks also got Madness singing “Our House” parody about falling house prices.

Some of the other comments made me remember that Neil Diamond sang “Red Red Wine” reggae style (on one of his live albums) after UB40 made it famous. He even did a ‘rap’ bit in the middle, which commented on their version.

Aaagh! Get it out! Get it out of my head, now!!