Any Warhol that's not so...Warholish?

I happen to love Andy Warhol and Phillip Glass. My Mom can stand neither, both for the same reasons (repetition and redunancy…her words; again, the works of both have immeasurable appeal for me!) I’m not going to tackle her Phillip Glass aversion, but I would like to help her feel some love or at least appreciation for Warhol. I told her I would show her some works by Warhol that she would like…now I need some help. (Don’t worry, I’ll be sure to credit, by name, date and time posted, any Doper who is able to help. I won’t pass any info off as my own! :wink: )

So, where can I find some examples of AW’s work that are less…Warholish?

Thanks!

If I was going to call some of his work less Warholish, I would try to think of stuff that didn’t have something pop culture as the subject. I would say the Flowers would fit that criteria.

Also, he did some pieces that I think of less Warholish since they are inked instead of screen printed. Most of his advertising work looks different than the screen prints he’s famous for.

Hope that helps.

Oh, definitely! I had just come across some of the flowers and shoes myself; these are exactly the types of works I’m looking for. Thank you!

It’s hard to make recommendations without knowing more about what your mother dislikes, but I’ll give it a try. Now that I see your reaction to** Sam Lowry**'s post, I think I’m not going to give you what you want, but I’ve typed it all up anyway, so here goes.

I went to the Warhol exhibition at the San Diego Museum of Art in 2006, and enjoyed the bulk of it. I would not say I’m a huge fan, however, and certainly not an expert.

I find the colour combinations of some of his work a tad garish, and prefer the black and whites or more muted tones. I’m drawn to the more realistic representations of the soup cans, for example, but do not love the brighter colours of the more famous silkscreens. More realistic works, like the Brillo boxes are more to my liking. Similarly, the one-colour silkscreens really appealed to me, and might to her.

There was a series of photos of celebrities where he covered part of the photo with bits of paper and then drew the details. I loved those. I’m not describing it well, but these are the ones ofMick Jagger and Karen Kain.

My most favourite of all his works featured a lot of black, oddly. I vaguely recall one of the assassination of John F. Kennedy, that when viewed from one angle was nearly impossible to see (it just looked black), but at another angle was perfectly visible. The silkscreen had been covered with diamond dust, so it glittered, but only if it caught the light just right. Dracula is an example of the technique I’m talking about. (I think. It’s hard to tell.)

I don’t know if any of the links I gave you will help you in your quest, but if you don’t like any of them, one of the websites I used had lots of options where you may find something.