Any way for average person to test for molds?

My fiancee and our daughter are considering renting an old cottage. We’re concerned about possible mold spores, mildew, etc. and their effect on long-term health. Is there a way that one can test this inexpensively to find out whether it’s safe to live there or not?

There is no physical evidence as far as we can tell, but there is a detectable, somewhat musty smell. Anyone have experience in this area?

Other than this concern, the cottage is absolutely great.



These folks sell a mold test kit you can use and mail in for analysis.

I bought a mold test kit at Home Depot, though I never got around to using it. I think you had to send part of it away but am not sure.