any weeds in Germany that look like, well, weed?

We got a place in Germany about three months ago. The house we have was unoccupied for awhile and it took some work to get the garden back to green & growing.

I noticed recently a “weed” growing up between my sunflowers & tomatoes. Now, I haven’t seen any pot growing since high school, which was longer ago than I like to think about, but damn if this little weed doesn’t look just like marijuana.

Do you think it could be? I think it might be a common weed because now it’s growing in several places around the garden. Were the previous renters pot-heads? Or is there a common weed in Germany that looks just like it? If it is pot, is it illegal to grow in Germany? I have no intention of using it, but I’d hate to get busted for apparently cultivating it. Yes, I do plan on letting it grow to see what happens.

We have a large backyard, and I’ve familiarized myself with most of the weeds growing back there. This doesn’t look like anything I’ve seen in the back. It’s only come up in the last month or so in the areas I initially weeded, tilled, replanted things & have been watering & fertilizing.

No idea if they grow wild in your area, but could it be a false aralia? (Never mind that the one in the picture is huge; they still have those suspiciously shaped leaves when the plant is very small.)

It’s probably cinquefoil – a common wildflower in eastern North America which was introduced from Europe. It grows wild in rural New York State and is often mistaken for marijuana. Characteristics are the yellow flower and a cinquefoliate leaf resembling a marijuana leaf but with the branches not quite as slender and attenuated. Sometimes called “pondweed” or “ditchweed.”

This link has a better picture of the leaves – and the varieties I’ve seen are a bit taller, and the leaves a bit longer and more potlike, than the plant pictured.

Hmm. No, I’m familiar with that Aralia. Isn’t it grown as a houseplant? It’s definitely not that.

It’s also not the cinquefoil, thanks to the second link. We have that I believe, but it’s a groundcover and not the same plant at all.

I tell ya, they really look like this.

For you, yes. It’s illegal to grow hemp without permission which you don’t get unless you have a good reason. There are exceptions for farmers cultivating tightly regulated low-THC varieties, but they still have to report it. A few years ago those became a lot more common and hemp fields are not that rare anymore.

Of course some people grow it anyway. Germany relaxed its policy towards cannabis a bit (small amounts for personal consumption are not punished) and many people interpret this almost as a legalization.

Ah, then if there are hemp fields around, I suppose it’s possible these really are hemp plants, and maybe the seeds got blown in, or dropped by birds or something.

A few years ago, the cover of the phone books for most of Indiana was a painting of a bird perched on a branch of a young buckeye tree. The truly hip didn’t mistake it for pot, but lots of people did. The phone companies were pestered all year by people asking where the painting was done. :smack:

I got a photo up to aid identification, if anyone’s interested.

The photo

I think those are tomatoes. Or daisies.

:slight_smile:

Here in the Twin Cities, the site of the Minnesota Ren Faire is on what used to be an industrial-grade hemp farm. There’s still a bunch growing wild on the periphery of the fair, and every year some newbie thinks he’s hit the mother lode and smokes some of it, only to find out that it’s of the very non-recreational variety.

Yeah, someone up-thread said it may very well be from a low THC hemp farm. Doesn’t matter to me really. Don’t plan on doing anything with it. Plus, it’s late August and it’s going to get cold soon, and freeze soon after that. So these little guys are doomed anyway.

I’d be willing to bet that it is hemp or maybe pot (possibly an indica).